Monday, March 18, 2019

My Word for 2019: Care

Yes, I realize it's already mid-March of this year!  But I never posted at all back at the beginning of the year, so I wanted to at least share what I chose for this year's word to focus on.  I felt God put this word on my heart just before the beginning of the year, and while I have had some "doubts" along the way if I should have chosen this word, I decided to stick with it because I honestly felt that it came from Him!  Let me explain...

The word I felt called to focus on for 2019 is "care."  At the end of 2018 I was feeling pretty worn out and like I hadn't been doing a good job caring for myself spiritually or physically in many ways.  It had been a GOOD, full year, but I was just tired!  I knew I needed to make some changes in several areas.  "Care" seemed to me to be a multi-faceted word that would remind me to take better care of myself, to care for my family and home and others, and most of all to remind me that God cares for me!  At the same time, care can also mean worry.  I thought of the verse "Casting all your anxieties (cares/worries) on Him, because He cares for you."  I Peter 5:7.  Over my entire life I have tended to be a worrier, and this word could be a good reminder to me in that way as well...to not worry because He's got my life all planned out and under his unchanging love and ultimate control.  He sees the big picture!  We had a few things coming up this year that I knew could bring out my tendency to worry: financial goals, some medical needs, work responsibilities, and still the question I'm pondering for myself about whether to apply for an online job that I could do to help provide for our family.  Lots of things to think about, nothing super overwhelming or burdensome, but "cares" nonetheless.  So anyway, I chose the word care and was excited about it. 

Then...I kept seeing thoughts from other believers online on the topic of self-care and how some people (not all) use that terminology to really make it "all about them," (aka selfishness, not self-care).  While that wasn't and isn't my intention at all, I wanted to take time to think through my word after that, and make sure I wasn't motivated by feelings of wanting to put myself first, to the detriment of others.  I think perhaps a better word is what I've heard Sally Clarkson say, "soul-care."  I truly believe there is nothing wrong with caring for and nourishing ourselves, but obviously the most important part of that is learning and growing in the Lord.  (This is an area where I have much growing to do!)  I also believe that it's not selfish to take time for caring for ourselves physically and mentally (i.e. taking a bath, reading a good book, exercising, etc.), as we are then refreshed to be able to pour into others more fully.  I hope that makes sense! 

Anyway...there's my word, and I'm excited to see how God works in me in the area of caring for others, myself, and seeing specific ways He cares for me over the course of this year. 

Do you choose a word for each year?  I'd love to hear if you do!

1 comment:

Mrs.T said...


This is a wonderful word that can be looked at in so many ways. Multifaceted, as you said. I love that you have a verse to go with it, as well.

I've chosen a word of the year for maybe the past 5 years or so. This year's word (as you know) is "Courage." I've already needed a lot of it just for the basic demands and responsibilities of every day!