Friday, March 22, 2019

Friday Five: the rainy day edition

Just a quick Friday Five before I head to bed!

1. It's been a rainy/snowy day here and really shows NH at its spring "worst."  Lots of mud, lots of dirty snow still waiting to melt...and gloomy weather.  In spite of that, we had a great day with lots of busyness...moms' group, and visiting with friends at their house in the afternoon.  It's been a good day.

2. Phew!  Helping a teenager with a writing assignment (essay) when said teen doesn't like to write, is not for the faint of heart.  Just saying.  I'm wondering if I need to outsource writing next year, too... seriously considering IEW because while *I* think the Sonlight language assignments are quite doable, they are harder for my reluctant writer.  On the flip side, he is an excellent writer when he's coming up with the ideas on his own, so there's that! 

3. It's been a traumatic week around here as we lost all 18 of our chickens to 2 separate weasel attacks (we assume both were from the same weasel).  Thankfully Jim was able to kill it the second time, but now we'll have to rebuild our entire flock.  Very sad.  On the plus side, the kids are kind of enjoying the break from daily chicken chores...

4. I'm still in the process of taking down my Christmas/winter decor and replacing it with early spring stuff, which for us equals sugaring season.  Unfortunately Jim has no time for sugaring this year, so we are taking a break from that, too.  But it's still fun to decorate with maple in mind!  Here are the two areas I've changed so far:
 It makes me happy to use the vintage syrup tin and the copies of signs from my great-grandfathers' sugaring businesses (one on each side of my family!).  The blue lantern is from my grandparents' house, too.

5. I didn't do so well with my "one tiny thing" each day this week, so I have some catching up to do around the house tomorrow.  Good thing I don't (currently) have any plans to go anywhere.  It'll be nice to have a day to stay home and focus inward.  Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!



6 comments:

Kathleen :-) said...

My kiddos were telling me about your chickens!!!!!! I'm SO Sorry!!!!! I cannot believe that all of them are gone!!!!! I know it must be very sad for all of you!!!! I bet everyone is looking forward to chicks, though....aren't they?!!! :-) Love all your writing....you do a great job!!!!! Hope you have a wonderful day today even though it's so cold and raw....we've got to be heading into some warm trends soon, right?!!!! :-)

Mrs.T said...

I love your maple decor. (Have yet to post about mine!) I like all of it, especially the Tasha Tudor illustrations and that gorgeous blue lantern that echoes the color of the "Sugar on Snow" book. Love that you used Grammie Yeaton's sugar cake molds. They just belong!

Anonymous said...

I'm excited and thankful you shared about IEW.....I'm exploring, and thinking and praying about some of their options....it looks and sounds so great!!!! :-)

Carrie said...

Thanks Mrs T and Kathleen! :) Yes, it was sad about the chickens...hopefully we'll be getting new chicks this week (or very soon). That will take some of the sting out of losing the others, I think! And yes, definitely looking forward to some warmer weather at the end of this week!! :)

IEW does look really good and I'm seriously considering SWI-C for Sam and Julia next year. Last year I used their Fix-It Grammar book 1 with Josiah, and this year we are doing book 2 with everyone. I wouldn't say they "love" it, but it makes grammar much less boring and it is quick to do each day! I will probably stick with it again for next year, at least for Julia and Josiah, but maybe Sam too. I think he's going to have a bigger workload next year (more independent) so we will see if I feel the need to continue with it or just focus on the writing curric instead.

Kathleen said...

Ha!!!! The Anonymous post was supposed to be...me...somehow my name didn't get added in on that one...sorry!!! :-)

Carrie said...

It "sounded" like you so that's what I thought! No worries, sometimes Blogger can be finicky too. ;) Keep me posted if you end up trying anything from IEW! I have toyed around with various writing programs, but what I feel "drawn" to (like Brave Writer) doesn't always work as well for my kids as I think it should (or I am really just bad at implementing it!)...this seems like it may be a good fit, especially for my boys.