Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Yes, I am Still Alive :)

Oh, my poor neglected blog . . . I can't believe I've let 2 weeks go by in between posts!  I'm really going to have to buckle down if I want to meet my goal of 10 posts this month. :)  It's not that I have writer's block, it's more the opposite problem . . . way too many posts in my head and not enough time to get them posted, or maybe more accurately--I haven't gotten myself organized enough to get them posted. :)  It's also hard sometimes to figure out which one to start with, as I have a bunch (like book reviews) that need to be posted within the next few weeks or so, but also others that are just things I want to chatter about . . . I think I just need to plan a half hour or so of blogging time into my days and see what I can do with it.  My problem with that, is that I am interrupted almost every time I sit down at the computer--often multiple times within a few minutes--so it's hard to get my thoughts together!  It was easier when they all took naps . . . :)

So anyway, I missed posting goals for this week and last, but I plan to get back to that next week.  I still wrote down goals in my handy-dandy notebook, I just didn't get them posted.  I'm declaring the time between now and the end of the month to be "anti-procrastination" time.  In the next 1.5 weeks, I want to get 1 book finished, 3 book reviews posted, a package mailed, renew my license, and probably some other things done that I haven't thought of yet!  Those are the top things that I really want to get done, though.

Today is the first day of spring, and we have about a foot of fresh snow outside.  Suffice it to say that it does not look much like spring around here, but at least it is very pretty out there! :)  Hopefully this will be our last big storm of the year, because I am definitely getting itchy for spring to get here!  Still, we don't mind a little more time to enjoy sledding and other snow fun.

I'm finding lately that I have so many, many things on my mind.  Some of these things are the weighty things of life that can quickly tend to discourage me, make me feel inadequate (well, I AM inadequate without God's help!!), and bog me down--this happens when I focus on all of the things I'm not doing well or not doing at all.  Other things that are on my mind are goals . . . things I want to do, or am thinking about doing, etc . . . things like selling some crafted items, tackling a new health challenge, sewing maxi skirts (my newest clothing wish for spring!!), spring cleaning, making time for cultivating friendships and taking time for myself to breathe . . . and the list goes on.  Sometimes I feel like my brain is set on overdrive.  Please tell me I'm not the only one who gets this way?!

Then there's school . . . we're in the middle of week 25 and sometimes we feel a bit bogged down.  But the end of the tunnel is in sight!!  Overall I'm really pleased with our progress this year, but as usual, I'm not doing well with the "extra" stuff that I feel like I should be doing to give our kids the most well-rounded education.  Things like art and music, science projects, and how in the world to help Sam actually LIKE creative writing--or any kind of writing at all.  He has the most beautiful cursive handwriting but he hates all writing with a passion!  I'm trying to figure out that balance between not letting him be lazy but also not pushing him too hard and discouraging him.  I've been pinning various writing ideas on Pinterest and brainstorming a bit to come up with some things that will work well for my reluctant writer.  As the next few pics will show, however, sometimes school can be lots of fun.  Especially when wearing a nice old hat of Daddy's! :)  Here, Sam was doing math--one of his favorite (and best) subjects.



In the midst of all this life-stuff, I take time to read some of those soul-encouraging blog posts in my reader,  and follow links to others that my friends share, and I find refreshment.  I'm particularly loving Sally Clarkson's blog (I Take Joy) these days, as well as Ann Voskamp's A Holy Experience.  Her words and photography always feel like a place of rest and peace.  I'm so thankful for those God uses to share wise words with a struggling mama--whether they be authors whom I'll probably never meet this side of heaven, or the sweet friends who live in my own community and so kindly and gently encourage me.

I thought it would be fun to leave you with a few more pics from the rest of our day.  Most Wednesdays are library storytime, which is a highlight of the week for our kids!  These were taken with my iPod, so they are a bit fuzzy . . . but they will give you a little peek into our library trips, anyway!


Crowding around Mrs. A to see the pictures and listen to the story!
Playing a game
Making decoupage Easter eggs!

I have more posts planned for the next few days, so hopefully you'll hear from me again soon! :)


No comments: