Monday, June 01, 2009

Dating my hubby :)

On Friday, Jim and I got to go out for a much-needed date night. I'm a firm believer that it's important to "date" after marriage, and especially after having kids, just like you did before marriage! I realize that it's not always easy to work out, though--not every couple has the blessing of having family nearby to babysit like we do. Or the money to pay for a babysitter too often! One thing that works well in that case is to trade babysitting with another couple; we have done that a few times with some friends who live nearby, when my parents weren't available. It is SO refreshing to get away for a little while and have some "couple time" without interruptions! And it doesn't have to be expensive, either . . . for our date on Friday we went to McDonald's and used a BOGO sandwich coupon to keep the cost down. We shared a sweet tea (free refills too!) and a large fry, and the cost for our dinner was under $10. And you know what? Even McDonald's can make for a fun and relaxing date, even though the atmosphere isn't exactly romantic. :) After we ate, we went bowling (10 pin this time!), which was a blast! Jim beat me, of course, but I didn't do too bad either. It was such a good night. We both kept commenting on how nice it was to be able to talk without someone interrupting, or needing help with their food, etc. We absolutely love our little ones and wouldn't trade them for anything. But it is really nice sometimes to get away for a little while and remember what life was like when it was just "us two"--and how it will be again someday!

I'm already thinking about what to plan for our next date. Probably a picnic somewhere! We had planned to do that this time, but the day was overcast with some rain, so we opted for something indoors instead. So, what are some fun things you guys like to do for date nights? Any fun and cheap ideas you'd like to share? I read this post on Small Notebook a while back, and found a lot of fun and inspiring ideas there . . . some of you might enjoy checking it out, too!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Amen to dating necessary! We went on a mini date yesterday afternoon - it was GREAT just being the two of us for an hour and a half. Bless my parents!!! :-)

Unknown said...

So glad you got a date night! Some girlfriends and I just started a babysitting swap club. Baby sitting by excellent, caring, experienced mommies that my kids know and love all for FREE! It's a great way to make sure date nights happen.

When Matt and I escape for a date night I usually spend the first hour adjusting to the "new" mode of conversation. Because I'm so used to interruptions from my kids it's difficult to let myself complete an entire sentence or thought. :) We went bowling recently too but I beat my hubby. :) Not by much though!

Rachel said...

Loved your post! Funny, my husband and I had a recent conversation on this topic. Now, he and I need to put action to our words:).