Friday, June 05, 2009

A Homemade Life


Wow, I can't believe I missed 2 weeks of posting this! Sorry about that . . . time got away from me. This week has been filled with quite a few "homemade" projects. Here are some of them:

**We've been making good progress on getting the siding on the front of our house--finally!! We've only had the siding for 3+ years, LOL. :) (The back side was finished a couple years ago.)

**I finished 2 sewing projects: a shirt for me (adapted from one of my favorite patterns--I'd link to it but the website is under construction right now), and white bloomers for Julia! Yay! Now she'll have something to wear under all her church dresses and skirts. :) Here is a picture of me in my new shirt (taken by my 5 year old :)). By the way, I figure this shirt cost me about $3 or a little less for the fabric. Pretty good deal!**I made a yummy rhubarb pie (I posted the recipe here, ages ago--scroll down towards the end of the post) last night, and since we've already eaten most of it, I made another one today. Mmmm, I love rhubarb. :)I also wanted to share a couple of neat blogs related to the topic of "homemade." First up is New Life on a Homestead. I used to read Kendra's other blog, Handprints on the Wall, but forgot to add her new blog to my Google Reader till this past week, when my sister-in-law sent me the link and it jogged my memory. I've really enjoyed reading about Kendra's adventures in homesteading and all the new things she's learning. I also think it's cool that she's planning a homebirth soon! It's really fun to read about someone at the same stage of life as me, who is interested in many of the same types of things--gardening, natural living, homebirth, etc.

Second is a blog I came across a while back, Make It and Love It, where there are tons of great tutorials for all kinds of sewing/crafty projects. Many of them would make wonderful baby shower gifts and I absolutely love these felt hair clips for little girls. You can bet I'll be making some of these for Julia soon! I thought some of you other "crafty" ladies would really enjoy this site too.

I'd love to hear any projects that you all have been working on, or any sites you'd like to share! Mr. Linky is still having some issues, but feel free to leave a comment with your link if you'd like!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I too have been saying I'm going to make those felt barrettes for Chloe! I even cut the felt out but never got around to sewing them. Ah. Such is life.

The new shirt is adorable! Great job!

I keep forgetting to take pictures of my recent sewing projects. In the last few months I've done a jumper for Chloe, I've repurposed an old shirt into another jumper for Chloe, sewn a tiered skirt for a gift, made a diaper cake, and whipped up some homemade dust polish.

Mrs.T said...

Great work! You sure have been busy! I am sharing a homemade salad dressing and homemade instant oatmeal this week and will attempt to put a link here.

Homemade Life

Samara said...

The shirt is very pretty! I've been working on our move to a different house, so most of my littler projects are on hold, except the "growing a baby" one- does that count? The one thing I haven't stopped working on is hemming some play silks that I will be dyeing and making into kid capes at one of our crafty playgroups.

Unknown said...

Hi, I wanted to introduce myself, I'm Jessye. My good friend, Rachel F. recommended your site. I've visited a few times and enjoy reading about your homestead :-). I wanted to let you know that I made your rhubarb pie tonight and it was so yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Carrie said...

Thanks for the comments, ladies! Alicia and Mrs. T--you guys have been busy, too!

Samara, I keep forgetting to comment on your blog, but CONGRATULATIONS!!! on your new little-one-to-be! I'll try to comment soon, in case you don't read this. :) I'm so happy for you!

Jessye, thanks so much for stopping by and saying "hi!" I always love to meet new friends through blogging. I'm so glad you enjoyed the pie recipe--it's one of our favorites! :)

Kendra at New Life On A Homestead said...

I'm so glad you are following me at my new blog!! It's nice to know that you enjoy my crazy adventures!