Friday, March 13, 2009

A Homemade Life

Yay! I’m actually posting A Homemade Life on a Friday, for a change! :) Of course I’m neglecting all kinds of housework to do so, but that’s OK. Housework can wait for tomorrow . . . Anyway, here are some of the homemade things we did this past week:

* Sam’s birthday cake.
OK, this one isn’t completely homemade, I’ll admit. I always use cake mixes when I make the kids’ birthday cakes. #1, the cakes always turn out very yummy. #2, they always come out of the pan very easily. And #3, I figure that we’re going to spend enough time on the decorating, which is tiring enough (especially since we’re usually doing it late at night), so I don’t want to spend extra time making a from scratch cake. So I do “cheat” in that way . . . but it’s still so much more frugal (and fun!) than a store bought birthday cake! This year Sam mentioned several times that he would like a red train cake. My friend Gail let me borrow her awesome train pan, and I added a coal tender. The birthday boy was very excited! :)

* French fries. I haven’t made french fries very often in our 9+ years of marriage; I usually buy the frozen variety. But they’re really not that difficult, and boy are they yummy! We had these with hamburgers on Monday night. Mmmmm. Think I’ll have to make them again soon!

* Tortillas (again, my favorite recipe from Tammy’s Recipes)--I know I’ve mentioned them plenty already, but I actually remembered to take a picture of the quesadillas that I made for Sam’s birthday supper, so here you go: Homemade quesadillas are sooo delish, and we make them once every couple of weeks, at least. Everyone loves them, especially with homemade guacamole! (If we happen to skip the guac, Sam has been known to inform me that they are better with the “green stuff!” :))

* Bathroom improvements. Most of the credit on this point goes to my sweet hubby. I got bitten by the spring cleaning bug this week, and decided to start with the bathroom, which desperately needed it!! After moving everything out, I had the brainwave that it would be great to install baseboard while the room was nice and empty. I didn’t think Jim would go for it, but he did! He made the gorgeous baseboard and we finally put up the wall border which we’ve had for nearly 5 years. I was very happy with the finished look! Here you can see how the room looks now (minus a few things that I hadn’t moved back in yet). We are getting closer to having another room finished. Yay!! It’s so rewarding to work on home improvement projects! The border, however, was an exercise in patience. The lovely cut out edge did not want to stick down no matter how much we sponged it. In the end, I went through and glued every pretty little point down with a handy dandy glue stick. I don’t think I’d get another border like that, but it did turn out really pretty.So, that’s my small list of homemade accomplishments for this week. I hope to work on more crafty/sewing stuff in the coming week, but I have lots more spring cleaning to tackle too . . . so we’ll see how far I get! How did you all do this week? Or have you found any cool sites revolving around homemade themes? Share away!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You are SO motivated! Wow. I will most definitely check out that tortilla recipe. I love making tortillas but it always takes so stinking long! We do a rice & beans type dinner at least once a week and almost always with guacamole. It's so easy, delicious and good for you!

Great job on the bathroom!

Mrs.T said...

Everything looks great! I need to check out that tortilla recipe too. The bathroom looks fantastic and Sam's cake was amazing!

Mary Ann said...

Carrie, your cake & bathroom do look great. You are very talented (Jim, too!). I admire your drive to pursue a homemade life. At this point, I'm a complete failure at it ;-) But Mike constructed a new shelf for me in the kitchen this weekend so he gets points for that!

Rachel said...

I wish that I could reach into the computer and eat all of those yummy looking things;). That tortilla recipe is delicious! They make delicious quesadillas:). I always have frozen tortillas in the freezer as they are so versatile. I've been making breakfast burritos for my husband's breakfast at work. He leaves so early and ends up feeling really hungry if he doesn't eat breakfast. I'd like to try the Breakfast Hot Pockets recipe that Crystal made. Have you made that one before?

Your cake came out so well! I'm with you as far as using a cake mix when you are going to spend such a long time decorating.

The bathroom is very charming:). It must be really nice to get things done. We will probably always have something to work on around here at our house. It's exciting to watch things take shape, isn't it?

Samara said...

I want a bite of that cake :)

Your house is so pretty. I achieved some homemadeness this week- I finished several more pairs of shirtsleeve pants for my son, remade from my husband's old dress shirts. They're perfect for the warm weather. I also tried a new recipe for pad thai, which I make often, but it was dreadful. Better recipes this week have been a mustardy potato salad & a cheesy pasta salad, both with broccoli from our garden. I guess the garden is my big homemade project this year!

Kara said...

Oh so much going on over there! The quesadillas look so yummy, I need to visit Tammy's more often. I am the only person in this house that likes guac- what's wrong with these people?!?!
And the train is adorable- along with your kids. :)