Monday, December 01, 2008

Christmas Countdown--December 1


Well, we are officially into the Christmas season now! I thought it would be fun to do another Christmas countdown, as I've done in the past, where I share things each day that we are doing to get ready for Christmas. I can't believe it is coming so FAST.

Jim was home today, and he decided it would be a good time to go get a Christmas tree. Yay! We have a tree farm nearby, where the trees are pretty reasonably priced, so that's where we went this year. We had a fun time picking out our tree--as you can see, Sam and Julia were quite delighted with the whole process. :) Maybe one of these years we will switch to a fake tree, but I really enjoy the memories we make as a family, going to choose a real tree, even though it is more expensive in the long run.

We spent the day decorating the tree (while watching "It's a Wonderful Life" at the same time), putting up the manger scene, and trying to pick up after ourselves. It's crazy how much of a mess we make in trying to rearrange the living room and decorate things. We still have a lot of decorating to do, but at least the tree is done. It is beautiful!! I also set up the angel chimes on the kitchen table for a centerpiece. Sam and Julia were fascinated by them, as always. In fact, Sam was bugging me all afternoon to set them up, and his persistence finally paid off. :)
And Josiah was fascinated by the train that Jim set up under the tree. It will be interesting trying to keep him away from it (and the tree) because he is starting to scoot and roll everywhere! I already caught him trying to eat one ornament off a low branch.
I'd love it if any of you want to join in with my Christmas countdown! Feel free to share in the comments about what you are doing to prepare for the "most wonderful time of the year!" :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We did a little decorating, but not much. Just: clings in the windows and in a couple of places inside the house; the nativity set; and some small fabric trees. We are planning to set the tree up sometime this week.

And I was able to do some more work on a Christmas present that I am making.

Mrs.T said...

So far I have my ribbon board up in the front hallway and filled it as usual with lovely old vintage Christmas cards. I have a picture frame in that hallway too where I display seasonal illustrations from an old Tasha Tudor calendar -- and I changed that to the December picture.

I also took the fall leaves off the front door wreath and off the garland over the living room picture window, in preparation for adding Christmas trims to them.

We bought a few ingredients for Christmas baking, too, and -- like Joanne -- I was able to work on a Christmas gift I'm making.

This is a nice idea! It will be fun to see how we progress along the way!

Mary Ann said...

I love the angel chimes! My dad used to set up several of them every year when I was a kid. I have so many memories of them clinging away during Christmas parties & dinners. So fun!