Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy Fourth!!

We had a really fun Fourth of July! We started the day off watching the local parade. The kids had a great time, and they didn't even mind all the loud sirens at the end.

Waiting for the parade to start
A very tall Uncle Sam
After the parade, we headed home for a couple hours. I made a pasta salad, and then at 1 pm we joined my parents at their house for a cookout. As usual, Sam and Julia enjoyed playing with all the different toys at Grammy and Grampa's house!

Our littlest cutie-pie :)
And there was lots of yummy food, too . . . including the famous "Berry Berry Pie."
I loved this picture of Julia with Jim in the background!
And we actually got a pretty good family photo--at least everyone is looking at the camera this time, although we couldn't get a smile out of Julia, try as we might!
We left my parents' around 4 pm, and our next stop was a Fourth of July party at the home of some friends. We had a nice time of fellowship, and the kids enjoyed getting to play with their little buddies Beka and Caleb. It started raining by 5:30 or so, so we packed up and headed home. I made a quick mac 'n cheese for supper, and we settled in for the night. We had planned to go to fireworks later, but the rain changed our plans. It's probably just as well--the kids are really tired, and we are too! We will probably still get to go to fireworks on Friday or Saturday night.

It was a fun and relaxing day! Happy Birthday, America!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Julia's hair is really growing! I love her cute little shirt. I MUST know what is in that berry berry pie! That looks too delicious. Very cool tall uncle sam - did the kids like him? Chloe saw a man dressed as a leaf and she kept saying "leaf" and giggling all day long! :) Funny kid.

Carrie said...

Alicia, I'm so HAPPY Julia's hair is getting longer! It's still short on top, though, which makes for a kind of funny look. I can't wait to someday be able to make pigtails and little braids in her hair! :)

The berry pie recipe is on my mom's blog--its "real" name is "Red, White and Blue Berry Pie, but I think my dad nicknamed it "Berry Berry." One thing's for sure, it's berry berry good! :D

The kids did seem to like the Uncle Sam guy, and actually they were fascinated with the whole parade from start to finish! It was a lot of fun. That was cute how Chloe got the giggles from the leaf man. :) I think it's even more fun to experience parades and such with children, than it was when I was a kid myself!

Rachel said...

Looks like you all had a great day. Your family picture came out super! Sam looks quite comfortable in front of the camera:). I saw the pie recipe on your mom's blog and I am most definitely going to try it. Your picture made my mouth water.
Let me know what you think of the garlic bread and french bread pizzas. Also, if you do the sandwich rolls, let me know what you think. If I make them first, I'll let you know how they come out.
It has been so much fun gathering recipes from you, your mom and Alica. I love being inspired to try something new and then adding it to my recipe repertoire.
Last week, I went through my menus with my hubby and found out that there were some on there that he didn't really like. I guess that I won't be making those recipes anymore. I wonder why I never thought to do that before, although I am a slow learner:). Have a great Thursday!

Carrie said...

Rachel, yes, Sam is pretty comfortable in front of the camera. :) It depends a lot on what kind of mood he's in at the time, though!

Isn't it interesting when we find out our hubbies didn't like something that we thought they liked? That has happened to me before. There were two specific things that I made a couple times each in the first year of marriage, and thought Jim liked them both times. But after the second time, he confessed that he really DIDN'T like them at all!! Oops! Now he knows to tell me right away when he doesn't like something, so I won't make it again. :) Sometimes I wish we had matching taste buds, but thankfully there isn't too much that he absolutely hates.

Hope you had a great Thursday, too!