Monday, June 25, 2007

Sewing update

I'm happy to report that I've now finished the two projects that were on my list, and can now start sewing Julia's capris outfit. :) I actually finished the surprise project for my friend over a week ago, and finished my skirt last Tuesday. I have Julia's outfit all cut and marked; I just have to start sewing it! Last week we bought Julia a baby doll, and then I got the idea to make a little dress for the doll, to match Julia's outfit. So I'm making up my own pattern for that . . . we'll see how it goes. I won't be sewing at all tomorrow, though, because it's our first BEACH DAY of the summer!!! Hooray for fun in the sun! :)

Here's a picture of my new skirt. I was pretty happy with how it came out, although next time I make one, I will alter it a bit.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Aww - look at those two pretty girls:). What a terrific idea to make a little outfit for Julia's doll. When I was little, I loved Holly Hobby dolls. For my highschool graduation present, my sister, Miriam, refurbished one of my old dolls. She repainted the face and made a little outfit all from her own imagination. She was only in 10th grade at the time and it came out beautifully. It meant so much to me that she did that. Post pictures of the finished products!

Unknown said...

Great looking skirt! Excellent job. Was it a hard pattern?

Enjoy your beach day! Let me know how the doll dress project goes.

Anonymous said...

I like the skirt! Was it easy? We just got back from the fabric store, so I am off to do laundry and sew, to hot to be outside. Have fun at the beach.

Tracy said...

Your skirt looks great -- of course I thought everything you made in college looked great to. Thanks for the recipe for the Cranberry Lemonade -- it's delicious. I think I'm going to try it with rasberry next time. Enjoy the beach.

Carrie said...

Rachel, thanks for the compliment! :) I enjoyed reading about what your sister did with the Holly Hobby doll. How sweet! We had one of those dolls when I was a kid, too.

Alicia, thanks! No, the pattern wasn't hard--only problem was that the measurements seemed way off. The size it told me to make according to my measurements ended up HUGE, so I had to take in the side seams a lot before putting in the zipper. Next time I will just make it a couple sizes smaller and see how that works.

Joey, thanks! Yes, it was very easy. I'll just have to make a few changes next time (see my comment above, to Alicia :)). I also think I would make it longer next time. In case you're interested, the pattern was New Look #6496.

Tracy, thanks for your compliment, as well. :) And I'm glad you've enjoyed the lemonade recipe. Let me know how you like it with raspberry, if you try it! I would also like to find a strawberry lemonade recipe sometime.