Monday, June 11, 2007

Scenes from my day :)

Today I got some more potting soil at Walmart (I've been in that store WAY too much in the past week!!) and did a little more gardening. I transplanted some of the basil and cilantro from the pots they started in, plus a lemon thyme plant, into a larger planter. This isn't a great picture, but it gives you an idea of my mini herb "garden." :)

I also thought you might like to see one of the original pots full of basil--it has grown SO well! And it smells and tastes really good, too!
This is my flower garden, such as it is. :) We (mostly Jim) outlined it with rocks. As I think I've mentioned, rocks are very plentiful around here! I know it doesn't look like much, but I am excited to have a little patch of flowers. I got 2 rosebushes that were on clearance at Walmart this weekend--neither one is blooming yet, but hopefully they may before summer is over! I also have 2 johnny-jump-up plants that I got from my friend Mrs. N, a patch of daffodils from my friend Mrs. S, a couple of hydrangeas (one may have died, though), some violets, and a rosebush that Jim gave me for Mother's Day. Right now the only plants that have flowers on them are the johnny-jump-ups and that rosebush.
Sam wanted his picture taken while we were outside, and I actually got a good smile out of him! How do you like his new haircut? I think this is the shortest it's ever been. I think it is so cute, and love to run my hand over it. :)
Tonight I was holding Sam, then he wanted to hold Julia. So we had some fun with that, and got a few cute pictures too. I think it's so funny how Julia looks almost as big as Sam here . . . she's not really, but she looks huge in this picture! She has been walking a lot today, and is definitely getting a lot steadier. She may be moving up into the walker nursery next week!
We've been having rain/thunderstorms off and on today and tonight. Right as we were getting the kids ready for bed, the storm was very close. The lightning actually made our smoke alarm go off, twice. That was a little scary! We've never had that happen before. I don't know where the lightning was actually hitting, but it must have been close by.

Well, it's getting late and I need to get to bed. Maybe I'll have time to finish up with our trip details tomorrow.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, fresh basil. Your herbs look great! Sam looks really cute in his new haircut. It must be nice and cool for him, too. The picture of you, Sam, and Julia is really nice. They are both getting so big. I guess Julia will be toddling around the beach this year! :)

Rachel said...

Hi there,
I am responding to your comments on my other two posts. I think that Michael would like the cake you mentioned as he LOVES pineapple. He is not a big fan of coconut b/c he says it gets stuck in his teeth:). I would love the recipe, though as maybe I could leave the coconut out of it. I will have to look up the pages you mentioned from Organized Home. That would work great as a great help for a collection of cookbooks. I often find great recipes to try and then forget where I saw them. I give up and don't bother taking the time to search for them.
I love your gardens. I am interested in fresh herbs and once tried to maintain a mini-herb garden. It was difficult as I just didn't know what I was doing. Perhaps I was making harder than it really needed to be. Do you guys plant a vegetable garden? That is something that I would like to do one of these years. My parents and both sets of grandparents would have gardens each year although I think that it became too much for my grandparents in the last few years. There is nothing like a fresh, juicy tomato out of the garden. Talk about organic - and just the right price:).
Sam's haircut is adorable. Although, he is quite a cutie so it doesn't really matter what haircut he has. He looks like he's all boy:).
I can tell that you enjoy being a wife and a mommy. It is such a high calling and I am honored to be able to be both. I know that you'll agree that it's tiring but sooo worth it. Being a wife and a mom is more fulfilling and rewarding than any other occupation.
Thanks for the comments - I hope that you have a great day!

Rachel said...

Hi again - In regards to the lemon cake, definitely yummy but we both agreed that for the time it took to make, it was not worth the trouble. There were a gazillion steps:) but I knew what I was in for as I had read the recipe through a few times. If you want the recipe, I will post it for you. It uses fresh squeezed lemon juice, almost 1 lb. of butter, 5 egg yolks and 2 whole eggs! So it's kind of pricey - I thought anyway. Let me know if you still want it but I thought that I would give my 2 cents worth:).

Carrie said...

Mindee, I think Sam's haircut will definitely be nice for summer! And yes, Julia will toddling all around at the beach, I'm sure . . . a far cry from last year!! What fun I will have trying to keep up with both of them! :)

Rachel, I will try to post the recipe soon! I'm actually wanting to make one soon and that way I can also post a picture. :) I think you could leave the coconut out--from what I remember, it just goes on top of the whipped cream, so it's not essential. The cake is soooo yummy.

I think the cake you made would be a little too time-consuming (and expensive) for me. It does sound yummy though--but I just like to keep the detailed recipes to a minimum at this stage of life. :)

I only have 3 kinds of herbs planted so far, but I haven't used any of them in recipes yet. Hopefully soon! I have tasted them all, though, and they all taste good! We did plant a veggie garden this year, for only the 2nd time in the almost 8 years we've been married. It's sort of an experiment--our soil isn't great, but we figured we'd give it a try and see what happens. Maybe next year we can afford to bring in some better soil if we need to. I'm with you on the yummy tomatoes, but I didn't bother to plant any because Jim hates raw tomatoes, and I don't know that I would get around to canning them. Probably we will eat most of our produce fresh, although I may freeze some. We also have TONS of wild blackberry bushes, so I will be making jam later in the summer. It is so yummy!!

Yep, Sam is definitely all boy. :) And looks even more so with the short haircut!

And yes, being a wife and mom is the best job ever. And also the most challenging job ever, I think! I do love it, though, and wouldn't trade places with anyone. :)

Heather said...

I'm new to the blogging world and linked to your site via Biblical Womanhood and Crystals Blog. I started my blog yesterday at healingtruth.blogspot.com. Check it out and spread the word!

P.S. Your children are adorable!

Carrie said...

Heather, thanks for your comment, and welcome to the world of blogging! I checked out your blog too and enjoyed reading your posts. :) Your little girl is adorable, too! Feel free to visit here again anytime. :)

Unknown said...

I'm so very jealous of your herb garden! We have huge trees in our yard so no good sunny spots for an herb garden - WAH! Sam's haircut is so cute! His hair is really turning blonder this summer, eh?

Carrie said...

Alicia--too bad you don't have any good spots for herbs! I've really hads fun growing them. :) And yes, Sam's hair gets really blond in the summer--I love it!