Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sam's birthday party

We had Sam's birthday party yesterday afternoon! My brother and his oldest girl, Sarah, came over, as well as my parents, to celebrate with us. Julie and Kenzie weren't able to make it, because Kenzie was sick. :( We missed you guys!! Anyway, we had a little celebration for both Sam and Sarah, who turned 6 on the same day Sam turned 3. They both got some fun presents and both had a fun time. Here are some pictures from the day:

Sam's special machine-themed cake
Sam opens one of his presents
Sarah blows out her candles (I made her a little cake out of a leftover piece from the two I baked to make Sam's cake)
Sam blows out his candles
Sam and Julia check out Sam's new Aquadoodle mat
All tuckered out from the festivities!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What great looking cakes you made! Did you get the machine-theme-idea from a book or did you just make it up? Very cool. Happy 3rd birthday, Sam! And what is an aqua doodle?

Carrie said...

Alicia, I got the cake idea from a friend of mine, then I did a search online and found a few pictures to give me more ideas. Then I just winged it and came up with my own. :) It was actually really easy because the machines did most of the decorating for me!

An Aquadoodle is a special fabric mat or paper that you write on with a pen that's filled with water. The water makes color come out on the mat or paper, but doesn't make colors anywhere else. And once the wetness dries, the color disappears so you can write on it again and again. I bet Chloe would have fun with one! I think you can find them at Walmart or any toy store. The one Sam got is a "Sing and Doodle" and is really big--you can use it on the floor. It plays Old McDonald and all kinds of animal sounds, and shows you how to draw a tractor, cow, pig, etc. in 3 steps. He also got a little Thomas the Tank Engine Aquadoodle which is like a little booklet. You color the pictures and the water pen brings out the colors (which also fade again when dry). The whole concept is really cool--great for budding artists! :)