Thursday, March 08, 2007

My house smells so yummy!

I love it when I have something in the oven or crockpot for a few hours, or bread baking . . . it makes the whole house smell so good. Today I am am roasting a pork loin, and the aroma is making me very hungry already--and it won't be time to eat till around 6:30. This is one of our favorite ways to cook pork.
***************************************************************************************
Well, I wrote that a couple hours ago, and now it is almost time for supper. At the last minute I decided to make angel biscuits, which delayed things a little bit. Anyway, back to the pork . . . when our grocery store has a good sale on pork loin, I get a good sized one and roast it all, then I can use the leftovers for other dinners and freeze some of it if I want to. I sprinkle the meat generously all over with Montreal Chicken Seasoning and roast it at 325º for about 30 min. per pound. It comes out SO yummy and is super easy. The first time I made it that way, Jim said it was the best pork he had ever had. Tonight I am making a rice mix and the biscuits to go along with it. I plan to use the leftovers in a pork shepherd's pie, and maybe some stir fries.

Here's another recipe I made recently that I wanted to share. This is for south-of-the-border quiche, and comes from the Nov/Dec 2006 issue of Simple and Delicious magazine. We made this last week and it was so good. I was thrilled to find another meatless recipe that we both enjoyed!

South-of-the-Border Quiche

2 unbaked pastry shells (9 inches) (I made my own, but you could use store-bought to make it quicker)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I accidentally left this out, and it was fine)
8 eggs
2 cups half-and-half cream
2 cans (4 oz. each) chopped green chilies
2 cans (2 1/4 oz. each) sliced ripe olives, drained (I left these out)
1/4 cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Salsa and sour cream, optional

Line unpricked pastry shells with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400º for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer.

Sprinkle chili powder and cumin over shells; sprinkle with cheeses. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, chilies, olives, onions, cilantro, salt and pepper. Pour evenly over cheese.

Cover and freeze one quiche up to 3 months. Cover edges of remaining quiche loosely with foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400º for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired.

To use frozen quiche: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Cover edges of crust loosely with foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400º for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

Yield: 2 quiches (6 servings each)

*************************************************************************************
OK, it has taken me HOURS to write this post. Our supper was as good as it smelled, and now it is time to get ready for bed!

No comments: