Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Whew, what a day!!

It's been a crazy one.

Julia had her 9 month checkup this morning at 10:45. Jim was working on some cabinet doors and drawer fronts down in his shop, so I was able to leave Sam with him. It's so much easier to do doctor appts. with only one child in tow. :) Anyway, we headed off merrily to the appt. and arrived right on time. After a wait of about 10-15 minutes, it was our turn. In the meantime, I had seen a baby about Julia's age in the waiting room on his way out--poor kid was really miserable with a double ear infection. I was thinking, "Oh, I'm so glad my kids have never had an ear infection!"

In we went to the examining room. Julia was her usual agreeable self through the measuring, weighing, etc. The nurse left us and a med. student came in to visit with us--getting some practice in. He was really nice, and very kind and gentle with Julia. He left, and we waited a while longer for Dr. C. He finally came in, accompanied by the med. student again, to do the actual checkup. Everything looked good . . . until I noticed he was spending a little longer than usual, looking in her left ear. Lo and behold, my little girl has her first ear infection! Nothing major, but thankfully they caught it before it got worse. Anyway, Dr. C said he would get a prescription faxed in to Walmart for her. I headed right over there, arriving about noon. I went first to the pharmacy and they hadn't gotten the prescription yet. No big deal; it had only been a few minutes since I left the doctor's office, so I figured it just hadn't come through yet. So Julia and I meandered through the toy section for a while (a nice, relaxing trip through since Sam wasn't along!), and then headed over to the baby section so I could pick up diapers and look at the clearance racks. I went back to the pharmacy after that (this was probably around 12:30). They still hadn't gotten the prescription. Hmmmm . . . well, I decided to go pick out a Valentine's card for Jim. And some applesauce. Browsed through a few other aisles. Headed back to the pharmacy around 12:45 or so . . . still no prescription. At this point I was a little frustrated. Did I misunderstand something the dr. said? Did they fax it to the wrong pharmacy? Julia was getting fussy and I was getting very hungry. I decided to go over to my mom's since she lives only a few minutes from Walmart, and call the dr. from there. And also to beg her for some lunch. :)

When I called, the receptionist had nothing on Julia's chart about an ear infection or prescription. So she talked to Dr. C's nurse, who also knew nothing about it . . . but she promised to call Dr. C (who was by this time at another clinic) and find out what was going on. She said she had a feeling they had goofed (hmmm, I had the same feeling!). She finally called me back about 15 minutes later, apologizing profusely. She had just called the prescription in for me, and was so sorry for hassles. By this time it was about 1:35, and of course Walmart's pharmacy staff takes a lunch break between 1:30-2 pm. So I called just after 2 to see when it would be ready. The lady said she was working on it right then and would have it done in about 10 minutes. It took me a few minutes to pack up and get back over there, so it was something like 2:30-2:45 before I had the amoxycillin in hand (yay!) and was on my way home . . . a LOT later than I had expected!!

I also should mention that typically Dr. C isn't that absentminded (at least in my experience). I think he probably got distracted because of the med. student who he was instructing, or there was just a miscommunication within the office somehow. But whatever it was, it sure made my day very interesting! I was very glad to come home, kick back, and relax.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, that is quite a day! I'll bet Dr. C will feel very badly if/when he hears about the mix-up. He is so sweet. Anyway, I hope Julia feels better soon. Sounds like her runny nose/eyes went to her ear. The abx should take care of the whole shebang! Take care!

Carrie said...

Yes, I'm sure Dr. C felt bad about the whole thing. Thankfully when I took Sam for his appt., I actually saw them e-fax the Rx with my own eyes. :) And it had already gotten to Walmart by the time we got there.