Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Julia at 9 months


Julia is nine months old now, and doing so many fun new things! Within the past month, her biggest accomplishment has been learning to crawl. She mastered it really fast! When Sam started crawling, he went backwards for the longest time, before he learned to go forward. But Julia didn't go backwards for long, and now she can go all over the house, which she loves. She is also already starting to pull up on stuff, so I have a feeling it won't be too long till she's standing and cruising. She loves pushing herself up on Sam's roundhouse, as you can see here.

She also likes to get into the bits of ash and wood chips by the hearth--yuck!--so we are working on teaching her that those are off-limits. :)

Another new thing over the past few weeks is that she's started on solid foods. Sometimes she's really excited about eating them, and other times not so much. So far we've tried a bit of rice cereal, homemade applesauce, pumpkin, and avocado. The applesauce is definitely her favorite. I'm not pushing the solids too much, just offering them and seeing if she's interested when we're eating our meals. She's obviously still getting most of her calories from nursing.

She has also started saying a couple things--"DaDa" was first (much to Jim's delight), and now she says "NahNah" quite a bit, which is apparently her version of Mama. Jim has been working on teaching her to wave, and she is catching onto that.

She discovered shadows for the first time on Sunday! There was a patch of sunlight on the tray of her highchair, and she suddenly noticed the shadow of her hand. After that, she spent quite a while moving her hand back and forth, and trying to grab the shadow. :)

Here are the stats from her checkup today: Weight: 18 lbs., 5.5 oz., Height: 26 inches, Head circumference: 18 inches. I don't put a whole lot of stock in the "percentile" charts, but I found it interesting that her weight is in the middle, her height is on the low end, and her head size is at the top of the chart. :) Yep, she's got a big head, just like her daddy!

Well, I need to wrap this up and head to bed. Due to my busy day, I'm going to move my weekly book feature to tomorrow. I'm also working on a long review of my Ergo carrier, which I hope to get posted soon. So much to say, but not enough time to blog it all! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Julia sounds so very active for a 9 mos. old! Do you find she's doing things earlier than Sam did?

Carrie said...

Yes, I think she's doing some things earlier than Sam did. I think she's really trying to keep up with him! Sam didn't walk till about a year old--I have a feeling she may be earlier, at the rate she is going. We will see!