Tuesday, September 03, 2019

A Satisfying Summer



We’re currently on vacation in Ohio, at the tail end of summer, trying to squeeze the last bit of fun out of it before we start back to school.  I’ve decided September is pretty much the perfect time to take a vacation, and am thinking about suggesting to Jim that we plan a trip somewhere every year about this time.  The weather has been great for the most part, not too hot and not too cool, comfortable for sleeping in the camper at night and playing outside during the days.

I wanted to write a bit about how satisfying this summer has been.  Of course, it went by too fast as it always does.  But for me personally I feel like it was just a really good summer, and I got a lot of things crossed off my list.  Before I get to that, though, let’s talk about the things I did not get crossed off!  
  • I didn’t accomplish my goal of setting up a chores/cleaning system for our family.
  • We didn’t go out for ice cream or eat at the local food truck.
  • We didn’t (yet) go canoeing as a family.
  • We didn’t declutter/organize the storage bins in the garage. 
  • We didn’t finish our camper remodel.
  • I didn’t menu plan very well and we often ate supper really late in the evening.
But here’s what I/we DID accomplish!
  • I finished Josiah’s quilt, which had been a work in progress for years.  That was one of my main summer goals, and I finished it on July 5!
  • We may not have finished the camper remodel, but we did replace the canvas, I finished sewing the curtains, we gutted the cabinets and benches, installed new flooring, and were able to actually use it for camping.  So I’m calling that a win!
  • We took an awesome family day at Story Land.
     
  • We (well, some of us) climbed our little local mountain with friends.
  • We went to the beach three times and the science center twice (so far...we will go a couple more times this fall).
  • I deep cleaned some spaces in my house. 
  • I made time to read and finished at least five or more fiction books over the summer.
  • I started blogging again.
  • I exercised 54 days in a row in July/August and have almost completed the C25K program again.
  • I am within three days of finishing reading through the New Testament with the Same Page Summer reading plan.
  • Jim and I made time for a couple of dates, both planned and spontaneous.
  • We hosted family and friends a number of times, which was so much fun! 

  • We made it to Ohio to visit family!   
Yesterday I took a little time to plan out some school/life stuff for after we get back home.  We have a pretty busy fall schedule coming up, particularly September, between starting school, work for Jim, a ladies’ retreat, revival meetings at church, etc.  And Jim and I still hope to sneak away for a day or two to celebrate our 20th anniversary a little late.  I still am behind on school planning and I really NEED to get back to a good menu planning habit so I can keep that part of life running smoothly.   But I’m feeling energized and motivated as the weather cools and the fresh start of fall lies ahead...I have loved the somewhat lazy lack of schedule through the summer, but am looking forward to jumping into a good routine again soon.  

Stay tuned...I hope to get a post or two written this week for our September back to school theme, also!  I hope all of you are wrapping up a great summer as well. 😊

2 comments:

Mrs.T said...

This was so much fun to read! When you write it all out like that, it's obvious that you had a productive and very fun summer. Such a blessing!

I completely fell off track with that summer reading of the NT. I stuck with it well through June and then just kept forgetting about it. There's a fall study in 1 Corinthians that I want to start with Women Living Well. It starts next Monday. We'll see how I do with that!

Looking forward to your September theme posts!

Dianna said...

You did a lot! It's much better to have goals and miss some than to never try at all. Way to go!