Friday, August 02, 2019

Friday Five: the summer decor edition

I thought it would be fun to do a decor edition, since I *finally* (read: late June) changed out my early spring decorations for things that are patriotic and summery.  Some of this stuff I already had on hand...other things came from Hobby Lobby and Marshalls!  (Side note: it is super fun for me to "treasure hunt" at Hobby Lobby.  I will admit that this is one store that can easily overwhelm my senses...it's been less than two years since we got one close-ish to us, and unless I have a plan of what I am looking for, I can wander the aisles and come out empty-handed, in spite of a 40% off coupon!  The best shopping experiences there are when I have something specific to find, and even better if I find it in the clearance aisle!)  Anyway, on to the post!

1. Table decor: I don't always keep flowers on my table, but when I do, I've been using this red checked cloth from Hobby Lobby to put them on.  I also found the "milk glass" pitcher (not genuine) at Hobby Lobby last week (marked down to $3.48!) and it makes a nice vase!  
 2.  Couch table:  I enjoy changing things up in several areas of my house, and this is my living room focal point.  The patriotic prints were free printables I found on Pinterest a few years ago.  The plastic plate and towel/runner were from Hobby Lobby, also on deep discounts. 
 3.  Kitchen cabinet display area:  more free printables, a dishtowel from Joann Fabrics (gift from my mom), Hobby Lobby plate, blue lantern from my grandparents' house!
 4.  Hutch display: this blue striped towel/runner is my new favorite from Hobby Lobby.  Also on clearance. 😉 The basket was my splurge for this year, I think it was under $10 from Marshalls.  I thought it would be fun to fill it with vintage books in shades of red, white and blue.  Two of these are vintage LM Montgomery books that I snagged at this year's library book sale!
5.  Random, non-decor related (since I don't have any other areas of my house that are decorated for summer): today Julia and Josiah went on an outing with their Sunday school class.  Here's a pic I "borrowed" from my friend Patty's FB page (she's their teacher, and an awesome one at that!).  They had perfect weather and a wonderful time out in nature, in beautiful Franconia Notch. Thankful for our church family and all the love and time that is invested in these kids!

3 comments:

Mrs.T said...

I knew there was a reason I hadn't gotten to Hobby Lobby yet! (Although I have shopped there online.) If it overwhelms *your* senses, I can only imagine what it would do to mine!

When I do go, I will hope to go there with Dad. He will keep my feet firmly anchored to earth, I think. Smart idea to go with a list of something you are hoping to find and consider it a "treasure hunt".

Your summer and patriotic decor is so very nice. Love it all! I envy you all those sweet little display areas.

1HappyWife said...

It was fun stopping in and finding 3 new posts that I hadn't seen!!! So good to have you back to blogging :).

Carrie said...

Mrs. T, yes, it helps a ton to have an idea in mind of what you're looking for! I also highly recommend shopping the clearance aisles. HL's prices aren't bad overall anyway, but you can find some amazing deals on clearance and that has been my favorite way to add to my home decor. :)

1HappyWife: Yay! Fun to see a comment from you. I'm hoping I can organize my time a little better over the coming school year and fit in a bit of blogging here and there.