Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Just a bowl of cherries


I have been addicted to sweet cherries this summer!  They've been on sale at the grocery store most of the summer ($2.99/lb or maybe less a few times) and I keep buying them.  I about choked last week when I bought two bags and went through the self-checkout, and realized that I spent over $13 on cherries!  Oops.  $2.99/lb doesn't seem like much until you weigh it out! 

Anyway, the cherries are delicious and we just eat them fresh.  Last year we were given a bunch of sour cherries and I made a pie out of them, which was also yummy.  In fact, I might still have some of those cherries in the freezer...I will have to check, as that would be a perfect summertime treat. 

There's an old saying: "Life is just a bowl of cherries," basically meaning that life is pretty sweet.  I have to agree that with all its ups and downs, this life we've been blessed with IS sweet.  In just over a week, Jim and I will celebrate twenty years of marriage.  We met when we were both 20 years old and were married at 22.  This means that we have known each other/been part of one another's lives longer than we were alive before we met.  (If that makes sense.)  Sometimes I look around me and wonder where the last twenty years have gone!  It's a little crazy thinking of all the living we've done in that time.  All the memories, all the hardships, all the good things and bad things that have happened, all the day to day moments that make up a life.  We've lost five of our grandparents in that time, but added four children to our home.  We've been part of three different churches.  We've lost touch with some old friends and made some new ones.  We've fought, made up, cried together, prayed together, laughed together (a lot).  And this wasn't really supposed to be an anniversary post, ha!  Just some ramblings as I thought about cherries and the sweet life God has given our family.  Right now I am at the point of trying to hang onto the moments and store up the memories.  Our older kids are quickly closing the gap to adulthood, and while that too is a special thing to watch, soon our home won't be quite the same.  I am excited for all the future holds but I also want to squeeze the most that I can out of all the time I have left with them!  Already the changes have started, as Sam is old enough to work with Jim and frequently does...and he is outgrowing some of the things he used to enjoy.  At the same time...he's also old enough to babysit for a few hours and that part is AWESOME. 😀

I guess I'll stop rambling for now, except to say...enjoy the cherries. Treasure the life you've been given!🍒 

3 comments:

Mrs.T said...

This is such a great post! Those 20 years passed so quickly! And yes, filled with such a variety of experiences ... but God was there in every moment.

This is such a good reminder to slow down and savor every day. And I think you and your family do pretty well at that. I'm trying to do better!

Kathleen :-) said...

I love your thoughts!!! Just popped on to check out your blog...I love the updated pictures, and your new posts'! You are amazing....just blog when you can, and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!! Oh how the years seem to fly by....your Anniversary is easy for me to remember since it is exactly the same Anniversary as my Sister and her Husband!!! :-) Here's to many more years of Happiness, and Love to you Guys!!! Thank You for being wonderful, and loving examples of Christ and His Love to all those around you!!!! You are so much appreciated!!!! :-)

Carrie said...

Mrs. T--life moves at such a frantic pace, doesn't it? Sometimes it is hard to slow down, but I'm trying!

Kathleen--thanks for your sweet words! I am excited to post a bit here and there as I'm able...trying to dip my toes into the blogging waters again. :) I've missed it!