Monday, September 30, 2013

Living and Active Challenge Check-In, Week 2: "Dedicated Daily"


I made it through another week of the Living and Active Challenge!  I ran/walked on the treadmill 3 days and did the 30 Day Shred (level 1) the 4th day.  I didn't lose any weight this week, but I wasn't really surprised . . . hoping for a little more success with that this week. :)

Once again, this week's verse was just what I needed to meditate on.  I have had Matthew 6:34 memorized for years from the KJV, but I decided to try and memorize it from the ESV last week, to challenge myself a little more, and also because I like the translation a little better.  "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."  Clare related this verse to our physical efforts in fitness, but also our spiritual walk with God.  In her devotional for last week she said, "We have a great responsibility to ask God for the strength, grace and wisdom for the day.  Then we need to take what He gives us for that day.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.  We can't rely upon others to give us what we need to be getting ourselves either."  This was a really, really important reminder for me, as I struggle often with giving each day to God and relying on His strength to get me through it.

I needed to meditate on this verse for other reasons, too!  As I mentioned in last week's post, my husband recently lost his part-time job, which had been a regular source of income for us for the past couple of years.  Right now he has several projects going for people, including a barn-building job that is supplying the bulk of our income at the moment.  But one night last week I was thinking about his work, and the "what if's" started popping into my mind.  "What if he doesn't get another big job when he finishes building the barn?  What then?"  The very next day my mind went back to this verse, and it was such a wonderful reminder to not be anxious about tomorrow.  God has given us what we need for THIS day.  He is helping us to store up as much as possible for the future, but ultimately we need to leave all the tomorrows in His hands!  Matthew 6:34 is a wonderfully comforting verse and I'm so thankful for the reminder to apply it last week (and daily :)).

No comments: