Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Book Review: The Fiddler

When accomplished violinist Amelia Devries accidentally gets lost in Pennsylvania's Amish country during a heavy rainstorm, she never expects that this brief detour may changer her life. But meeting Michael Hostetler and several other Amish folks from Hickory Hollow, soaking up the peace and serenity of their quiet life, and spending time with the "Wise Woman" is balm for her soul. In Michael, Amelia finds a kindred spirit. Just as she is struggling with decisions and pressures of her musical career, so he is dealing with the expectations of his family and community . . . trying to decide if the Amish life is what he really wants.

The Fiddler has the same calm, slow style of most of Beverly Lewis' books (and yes, I've read almost all of them!). I do enjoy the Amish stories, although at times I wish the pace was a little faster! I think the laid-back pace is probably necessary, though, to give the reader a feel for the Amish life. I really enjoyed this book; it was nice to "go back" to Hickory Hollow (the setting of Lewis' first Amish series) and even to see or hear of some of the same characters, such as the Wise Woman, again. I liked both Amelia and Michael and found myself rooting for them, hoping there was a way for their lives to mesh. Of course, you don't find that out until the end of the book. :) Another great read by Beverly Lewis! I give The Fiddler 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

Mrs. Smith said...

I like her books,too. I enjoyed reading your review; it put me in the mood to curl up with a good Amish read.

I hope you get to visit Amish country on your trip! I would LOVE to visit there again!