Friday, April 13, 2012

Random stuff and pictures from the past few weeks

I guess it's been a while since I did a random update, and since I know you all like to read those, I'll post one. :)

We have been enjoying some fairly nice weather the past few weeks, although nothing like that one week of crazy hot weather. I don't mind--it is kind of nice when spring takes its time about coming. The kids and I went out for a nature walk one day and had so much fun. We examined buds on a tree (anyone know what kind of tree this is? (I have no idea, although it's growing right in our yard),
walked in the woods,

and enjoyed floating leaf boats down the brook.





Sam got a package in the mail one day. We finally ordered him some new cowboy boots for church. He loves cowboy boots, but they are hard to find used! The ones he had been wearing, we got at a yard sale several years ago for around $5 and they were in perfect shape. They are not in such perfect shape anymore, but Josiah should still be able to wear them in a few years. :) These new ones we got were a lot more than $5, but we figure Sam should get about 2 years of use out of them, and then probably Josiah will get the same amount, so it should be worth it in the end. We definitely got more than our money's worth out of the previous pair! :)



Once in a while the kids like to dress up in their Army and princess costumes. One day they had so much fun playing, that we didn't get around to doing schoolwork till later in the day. I love watching their imaginations at work. I wish I would have gotten a picture when Sam was leading them all on hands and knees through our bedroom, on the lookout for the enemy!


We made an Easter project--a resurrection garden (instructions are here). It didn't work so well with the pot I found (which was the smallest I could find at our Walmart). The dirt kept sliding off the pot and the grass seed wouldn't sprout.


We finally replaced it later with half a sour cream container, which worked better. I think next year I would use a small peat pot instead. The kids had a lot of fun with it, regardless. They especially enjoyed helping to put the dirt on, and collecting sticks to make the crosses. It was a fun, inexpensive project that helped keep our focus on Christ during the Easter season. We also did our traditional "resurrection eggs" which we made several years ago and go through every year during the week before Easter. The kids LOVE this tradition. We didn't get around to dyeing eggs this year, although I had hoped to make some using natural dyes. Oh well, maybe I will get my act together for next year! :)

I turned 35 last week! Jim and I had an afternoon/evening date a few days before my birthday, and then we had a family party with my parents last Friday. Also, the ladies in our moms' group surprised me with a cake at our meeting on Friday afternoon!! They're so sweet. We had this super yummy lemon cake (recipe discovered on my friend Elisha's blog last year)
and Sam even made a dessert--inspired by his Sunday School teacher. :) Jello with mandarin orange "boats" on top! This was all his own idea and he did it all himself except pouring the jello in the pan. It was so cute as he got it all ready and then announced, "I have a dessert to serve, too!"
After my party here at home, we played Ticket to Ride with my parents because the kids were dying to teach Grampa and Grammy how to play this new favorite game.We were actually given it for Christmas a few years ago, but the kids are finally old enough to understand how to play it so we have been doing a lot of that lately! Josiah is the only one who is still a bit young, but he has fun playing with the trains while the rest of us play the game. :)

And last but not least, here is a look at Julia's finished Easter dress.
I was pretty happy with how it turned out. I used this tutorial and it was easy-peasy to put together! It looked kinda plain-jane, though, so I added some embellishments and then I liked it a lot better. And Julia loved it, which is the most important thing. :) She had to wear it with a sweater, of course, since Easter day was chilly, but it will make a nice summer dress later on.

5 comments:

The Two of Us said...

Love the pictures of the kids. You have done lots of fun and creative things with them and I'm sure they will have memories to last a lifetime. Thanks for sharing!

Mary Ann said...

You have been busy (as if there was any doubt)! Julia's dress looks great & Sam's little dessert is so cute. And happy belated birthday to you! That cake looks yummy. I usually have a lemon cake for my birthday :-)

1HappyWife said...

Happy Birthday!!!
Yes, I love posts with LOTS of pictures :). Your hike looked like fun, Sam's boats are cute :), and you did a great job on Julia's dress. Whenever you put up pictures of sewing it makes me want to sew too.
Hope you are feeling better. We have the cold going around too. Little Leah has a little cough and a runny nose but thankfully she is very sweet about at it all :).

Mrs.T said...

What a fun post! I love seeing all that you are doing with the kids. What wonderful memories you are making with them. And imaginative play is so great -- love the army and princess team evading the enemy. Good lessons there for the Christian life! Thanks for sharing!

Nikki said...

I must have missed this post somehow. You have been busy but it all looked like fun. Julia's dress is really sweet. I love the fabric you chose.
I have been wanting to take a hike like that but have not done it yet and it rained so now everything is too wet. :) Hope you are feeling better now and that you had a Happy Birthday. I turn 35 this year too.