Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Baby Robins, Day 13

These babies are getting so LOUD! We can really tell every time their mama is feeding them because they chirp with great excitement that can be heard all over the yard and inside the house, if the door is open.


Once when I looked in the nest, I only saw 2 babies. Then I realized that the third was perched on the back side of the nest. They are so crowded in there now, I guess he was just trying to find a little extra space. :) When he saw me peering at him, he hopped back on top of his siblings! I guess it feels safer in the nest, even if you aren't actually *in* the nest (but rather, on top of it :)).

I think they will be flying away any day now. Probably tomorrow, when it's supposed to be raining and I won't get to watch. :( Maybe they will wait till Friday, but they have all been stretching their wings and getting a lot more mobile. One of them cracked me up today, as I watched him scratching his head with his foot (just like a dog would). I had no idea birds would do that! Wish I had gotten a picture of it!

4 comments:

Mary Ann said...

It is an amazing growing up process, isn't it? It seems like they are on fast forward! I think it's really neat how you can hear them chirping :-) I'm sad that they will soon be flying away. I've enjoyed your chronicle of their growth!

Arlene G said...

Amazing how these little birds have grown. Thanks for sharing with us!!

Money Saving Maine-iac said...

Hi Carrie;

I just wanted to let you know how much the boys and I ave looked forward to checking in with your nestlings every morning. You commentary has been fun too! I've witnessed it all before but I still cannot get over the amount of growth that takes place in just 2 weeks. God, and this world he has created, is amazing!

Money Saving Maine-iac said...

Carrie;

I keep forgetting to let you know that if you want to see this next year, do not move the nest. Even if she doesn't use the same nest she'll build right next to the old one.

After a couple years of watching this spring fun in the climber of our playset, I cleaned the shelf out (I thought I was making it nice for the next years photo op) and she never returned to that spot again.

I just wanted to give you a heads up! :)