Saturday, October 03, 2009

Bookworms

I have been overjoyed lately to see my kids really turning into bookworms. :) I think it has to do in part with our school curriculum being centered around books, plus we have just been finding some great ones at the library recently. Also, Sam's and Julia's attention spans are getting longer and longer, which helps tremendously! I love the fact that Sam would rather snuggle up and read books with me than watch a movie. Here are a few that we've been enjoying over the past few weeks (some school, some library):
  • The Berenstain Bears' Big Book of Science and Nature
  • Things People Do
  • Fancy Nancy
  • Strega Nona/Big Anthony (several different ones in the series)
  • Wee Gillis
  • Make Way for Ducklings
  • Horton Hears a Who
As you can see, we have quite a bit of variety in our book choices. :) I am so thankful for our library, as I am able to get so many more great books that we couldn't afford, let alone have room for!

Do you enjoy reading to your children? What are some of your current favorites?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We too LOVE reading books! In fact, my throat gets sore sometimes from all the reading aloud I do.

Thanks for the book recommendations -- haven't read Wee Gillis before and I didn't know there was a berenstain bear's book of science!?! We heart the berenstains bears in this house. :)

We just finished reading "How to make an apple pie and see the world" for fiar last week. Great book! AND I'm reading "The Read Aloud Handbook". It has a spectacular listing of recommended picture books in the appendix. Have you read that one?

Arlene G said...

I read to my grandchildren quite a bit and I used to be a preschool teacher so I have quite a few preschool books of my own. Some of my favorites are....It Looked Like Spilt Milk, How Do Dinosaurs say Goodnight?, No David, Pumpkinmoonshine, Caps For Sale and Brown Bear Brown Bear. We also like Fancy Nancy!!

Samara said...

I love The Napping House, Goodnight Moon, Widget, Pirate ABCs, Joelle Jolivet's Almost Everything, Animal Atlas, Where's Waldo, and I Spy... my son has a lot of fun with picture books right now and loves to "find" things and tell me what he sees. I like to work in longer storybooks, but given a choice he will always grab something funny or one with all pictures.