Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Homemade Life

Just a quick homemade life post, and I still haven't remembered to get set up with the new Mr. Linky! Oops . . . just leave your links in the comments, if you have anything to share. :)

First up: my new skirt! I was really, really happy with how this one turned out. This is probably the first skirt I've ever made myself that I like a LOT. :) The best part? It cost next to nothing! The main fabric was a gift from my mother-in-law, and the gingham band on the bottom was a remnant from some capris I made for Julia a couple of years ago. All I ended up buying for this project were the ribbon, thread, and zipper. I'm going to wear this outfit to church tomorrow!
Here's a close-up. I loved how the two fabrics ended up being such a close match, even though I didn't plan for them to be put together, till the last minute!
Another homemade project: our new swingset! We are going to add another swing on the part that sticks out off the end. Eventually. The kids love their new swings and have been spending lots of time on them!
And my new clothesline! Jim just finished this project today. We ended up having to make it a little different than he first intended, but it worked out fine. The "pulleys" on the ends are old bike wheels. I gotta tell you, my hubby is so creative. :) He used things he had on hand to build this, and then spray painted it black so it looks nicer. The only thing we had to buy for this was the cable and some little cable splices for the line itself. Now, the reason there are only 4 pieces of clothing on there is that I forgot that I need to buy more clothespins. :) But at least you get the idea . . .
And that's all for today! Do any of you guys have any homemade projects, recipes, links, etc. to share this week?

5 comments:

Gail said...

Wow! You two have been busy! Your skirt is cute, and Jim's swing set and clothes line are so nice! I'm sure you've been happy to have both on these sunny days!!!!!!!! Hope you are having a good Lord's day today!

Unknown said...

Lovely skirt, Carrie! I hear ya -- I don't often like what I sew for myself. Much easier to sew for little girls than grown-up women! :) I am coveting that ingenious clothesline!!! How cool!

Rachel said...

What a pretty momma of 3! I love the outfit :). You can tell that you are doing well with your health and fitness goals. You are looking GREAT!!

Carrie said...

Thanks for the comments, ladies! I am definitely loving the clothesline--got to really use it for the first time yesterday.

Rachel, thanks for the sweet encouragement! I still have about 14 lbs to my goal weight, but at least I'm getting there--slowly but surely! :) I've been adding in more exercise lately, and I think that's helping . . . and giving me more energy, too. :)

Mrs. Doug said...

Hey Carrie... great sewing projects! You are surely your mom's daughter! Hope you get to use the clothesline often. I just put one up... not quite as interesting... but functional like the string between trees type. I really like hanging clothes out, especially bedding. It smells so fresh. Not something you can get from a fabric softener sheet. Thank the Lord we live in the backwoods! I don't even mind putting up with the "wildlife" (daddy long-legs in the shirts).
Mrs. Doug