Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Memorial Day!

This is what we did to celebrate Memorial Day:
Yes, we planted our very first square foot garden!!! We had bought all the stuff for the soil mix, a couple of plants, and a bunch of seeds on Friday. Jim built the boxes, mixed the soil, and filled the boxes on Friday, too. Then today we finally got around to planting everything. We have peppers, tomatoes, carrots, several kinds of lettuce, zucchini, cucumbers, basil, cilantro, pumpkins, watermelons, swiss chard, green beans, sugar snap peas, corn . . . and maybe something else that I've forgotten! Lots of stuff, anyway. We are very excited to see how it goes. We've only tried gardening a couple of times before, the traditional way, and between poor soil and laziness on our part in keeping up with the weeding, etc., we didn't get much of a harvest. This method (so far) has been MUCH easier. I love that the garden is close to the house. I love that the kids could help plant it without accidentally stepping on an area that we just planted. I love that the soil is loose and easy to work with. And I will really love it if we get a good amount of veggies to help feed us this summer!! :)

Sam was very excited to help plant and water.
It was fun and easy to mark where we planted all the different things!
I'll keep you all posted on our gardening adventure through the summer!!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Keep us posted on how the garden grows! My sis-in-law has done square box gardening and swears by the method. She's always had great success with it. Let me know how the cilantro does -- I've heard that's a fussy one.

Samara said...

It looks great! I've done some square foot gardening and it turned out OK; some of the plants were too close together (at least for our muggy climate) and got powdery mildew, but others did wonderfully, especially once I started using fish emulsion as fertilizer. I look forward to admiring your results!

Tracy said...

Your garden looks great. I also planted my garden yesterday. My parents do a box garden, but they use railroad ties.

Kara said...

Nice! Can't wait to see a big fat watermelon later this summer!

Mrs.T said...

It does look wonderful. Apparently we are going to try the traditional method for this year and try out the square foot type next year. I will be looking forward to seeing how everything grows for you!

Rachel said...

Looks awesome! I'm sure that Jim whipped everything together in record time. I hope that you will end up with lots of delicious produce. I love to watch things grow! ;)

Gail said...

It's so nice when you can start to have produce from your own garden! I got a canner last year and thought I would be overwhelmed by it all, but ended up not being too overwhelmed and having such a feeling of accomplishment when I saw all the jars lined up. Hope this new method does well for you! It looks great!

Gail said...

Carrie, Carrie, not contrary, how does your garden grow? It's so exciting to see the plants peeking up through the soil and start to imagine how yummy the results of your work are! By the way, Josh says he doesn't see the need for modification on the "quite contrary" part of the above (modified) nursery rhyme. 8) Hope you're having a great day!

Carrie said...

Thanks for all the comments, ladies!
I'll try to update on the garden progress later this week. Almost everything has come up, and I'm really excited to see it growing well!

Gail, tell Josh thanks a lot. :D I liked your modified version better! :)