Saturday, February 28, 2009

A Homemade Life


As I said in my last post, this was kind of a different week since the rest of the family was sick! I didn't do a whole lot of homemade anything this week--I even "cheated" and bought bread instead of making it! But here are a couple of things we did do:

First, I got a "homemade" haircut! :) I'd been thinking for a while about getting my hair layered, and a friend had told me how she found instructions online on how to cut your own layers. Jim cut it for me and it turned out quite well! I kept most of the length on the longest layer, but ended up with the shortest length being around my shoulders. So that was something fun and different. No pictures yet, but hopefully I'll get a few taken soon.

Second, I got crafty again and created some magazine files out of recycled dishwasher detergent boxes. I had 4 of them kicking around under the kitchen sink, which I'd never gotten around to bringing to the dump yet. With Jim's help, I figured out how to cut and glue them to make them fit my magazines (several years' worth of Quick Cookings). Jim spray painted them for me and I trimmed them with a bit of scrapbook paper for a more finished look. I'll put up a separate post with a tutorial in case anyone else would like to try this project. It was pretty easy and I was very happy with the result! Now I can't wait to empty another box so I can make another file! (I have LOTS of Quick Cooking and Taste of Home mags that I'd like to file this way.)

So, anyone else have any homemade things to share from this week? Add it to the Mr. Linky or leave a comment! Let's inspire each other! :)

ETA: I just realized I forgot to add the banner at the top of the post. My mom made this cute little graphic and I asked her if I could steal it! If anyone else would like to use it for your homemade life posts, feel free to use it. :)

If you've never used a Mister Linky, here's how it works: In the first space, type your first name, and if you'd like to specify what your post is about, you can add that in parentheses. In the second space, copy and paste the URL of the blog post you want to link to. Mister Linky will automatically ask you to leave a comment on my post, but you don't need to, unless you want to. :) Anyway, it's fairly simple and hopefully will be fun for everyone.

2 comments:

Mrs.T said...

What a great idea on those magazine files! I have some I made years ago from Tide boxes. They are not as nice looking as yours, though. I will have to try out your tutorial.

Anonymous said...

Carrie,
They look great!
Love,
Linda