Today I’m knee-deep in preparations for Thanksgiving dinner! We decided this year to have our own little family celebration, so I’m not going “all out,” but I’m still making quite a bit of food! Here is what’s on our menu for tomorrow:
*Roast Turkey (duh!) :) and Gravy
*Make-ahead Mashed Potatoes
*Sweet Potato Casserole w/Marshmallows on top
*Cranberry Sauce (from a can)
*Pumpkin Pie and possibly Apple Pie
I made the mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes today, and also the rolls. And I’m planning to make the pumpkin pie today also. So I should have a pretty easy time tomorrow getting the rest of the dinner ready. As I was cooking away, I got to thinking about different menu items/methods of cooking, etc. and thought it would be fun to do a little questionairre (not that any of you probably have time to answer it, but anyway . . . ). Here it is:
1. What’s on your Thanksgiving menu? Do you stay home, have family come over, or go over to someone else’s house?
2. How do you cook the turkey? Brine it? Reynolds bag? Traditional roasting? Grill? Deep-fry? (I use a Reynolds bag.)
3. Do you stuff the turkey or make the stuffing separately? Do you call it stuffing, or dressing? (Stuffing isn’t high on our list of favorites, so we’re skipping it this year!)
4. Do you use the giblets for gravy or toss them? (I’ve never used them (so far)--I guess they kind of gross me out, so I just stick with a simple gravy using the turkey drippings. And the giblets get tossed.)
5. What’s your favorite Thanksgiving dessert? Or are you always too full to eat any? :)
6. Cranberry sauce from a can, or homemade? (I love the jellied kind from the can--yeah, I know it’s not healthy, but we don’t have it very often so I don’t feel the least bit guilty about it. :))
7. Fancy table decor, or casual? (I’m hoping to dress up my table a bit . . . I’ll definitely take pictures if it actually happens. Cloth napkins and candles are going to be on the table too!)
Well, that’s all I can think of for right now, and my kitchen is calling me to come load the dishwasher and wash the pots and pans. I’m hoping to get up another post about things I’m thankful for, before today is over. Hope the rest of you are having fun with your Thanksgiving day prep, as well!