Thursday, October 16, 2008

A peek into my day



Thursdays are grocery shopping days for me. Since adding a third kiddo to our family, I've had to get into a new groove with the shopping strategy. :) I think I've pretty much got it figured out now. Usually, Josiah goes in the sling, Julia sits in the cart seat, and Sam walks or rides on the end of the cart, standing up. Or sometimes I leave Josiah in his carseat (carrier) and set it sideways on the back of the cart, and put the groceries sort of under and beside him. Works pretty well.

Today was rainy. It's always interesting trying to get three kids loaded and unloaded (as well as groceries) in the rain. I guess it's preparing me for winter. :) We hit Walmart first and it was pretty empty in there, which was nice. I ran into a friend and got to catch up with her for a little while, then got the stuff I needed and headed off to Hannaford. Hannaford is the only other grocery store in these parts, and I like it pretty well. It's actually a very nice, clean store, though the prices tend to be a little high. And I sometimes feel grumpy that they don't ever double coupons . . . but really, it's a great store. I buy most of our produce and meat there because Walmart's just isn't as good quality. And I just discovered that Hannaford now has their own brand of organic ketchup that is way cheaper than the Annie's brand we'd been buying. Happy dance time!!

Maybe I'm strange, but I have one part of the grocery store that's my favorite. It's the gourmet cheese aisle--right across from the deli counter. I like to walk slowly through that section, just inhaling. :) See, I told you I was strange! Anyway, although I very rarely buy any of the imported or gourmet cheese (except feta), I have to say that's my favorite part of the store. Mmmmm.

The kids tend to like Hannaford better than Walmart because they get a free cookie to munch while we shop. Although, Walmart has more that attracts them shopping-wise because there are toys, fish in fish tanks, and of course the buttons on the turning thingy in the fabric/craft section. Sam is completely fascinated with those. :) I call it a good day when we've made it through both stores without anyone being disobedient, crying, or having a blowout. Today was a pretty good day, in spite of the rain. :)

And this post was probably a little bit disjointed since I'm writing it at 11:30 pm . . . after a busy day of not only grocery shopping, but also coming home to make a large chicken pot pie, and roast pumpkins. And finally get my baby to sleep, hopefully for at least a few hours. And now I better stop this wacky jabbering and get my tired self to sleep also. Nighty-night! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll admit that I walk verrry slowwwwwly through the coffee section. Yum! :)

Rachel said...

Love, Love, LOVE Hannafords!! I worked there for many years in the seafood and bakery departments. I befriended the guy that worked in the cheese house and he was incredibly knowledgeable about the different gourmet cheeses. He always had out new samples and because the bakery was right across from the cheese house, I would often sample the delicious selection of cheeses. I think that I am part mouse because I LOVE cheese:). I miss Hannafords but have adjusted to Krogers here. You are right about the produce and meat at the Hannafords. It is sooo much better than any other store, even the ones down here. My husband agrees that Hannafords had the best meat anywhere around:).

It's tiring enough getting 2 kids in and out of the car! I cannot imagine what it is like with 3. At least Sam is older and can do more for himself:). What kills me is lifting Marcus in his baby seat IN and OUT of our Pathfinder several times throughout the shopping trips. He is sooo heavy and the Pathfinder seems 10 ft. tall!

No wonder we're tired on shopping days:). It's a lot of work - mentally and physically but I love a stocked fridge and pantry:).