Saturday, October 18, 2008

Favorite link round-up!



I thought it would be fun to share a few of my new favorite blogs and some other great links I've come across lately. I'll probably try to do this from time to time and label the posts under "Favorite Things." So here's the list:

Simple Mom--I know I recently mentioned this one, but just thought I would do so again because this has become one of my most-enjoyed blogs of late. I love her articles on organizing, home management, finances, you name it! I also love her free printable "Daily Dockets"--so useful in helping me stay focused on my plans for the day. Her blog is nice to look at, fun to read, and inspiring. Definitely one of my top 10 favorites!

Making Home--This is another one I recently discovered. I appreciate Jess's direct, down-to-earth writing and have been challenged and encouraged by so many of her posts.

Pear Budget--I first heard about this online budgeting tool at Simple Mom, back in August. As I've mentioned here before, Jim and I tend to be "budget-challenged." :) Well, while Pear Budget doesn't magically make me a great budgeter (is that a word?), it does help me keep track of what we're spending each month in the different budget categories that I set up. It's super easy to use and actually fun to use, too, which is something I normally wouldn't say about budgeting. :) The best part is that you can do a free 30-day trial to see if it's a good system for you or not. After the free trial, it costs $3/month, which is well worth it to me, if it helps us keep a tighter rein on our finances!

Fabric storage cubes tutorial--Here is a great tutorial for a really cute and practical craft. I haven't made any of these yet, but I thought these little boxes were great! I would love to make some in larger sizes, also. Hopefully this is a project I'll try sometime in the next few months.

Dishwasher & laundry soap recipes--Lindsay at Passionate Homemaking shared these simple, natural recipes. Looks super easy and very frugal, too!

Free headband and pincushion patterns--I found these free patterns a while back at designer Heather Bailey's blog (HELLO my name is Heather). I made one headband, but haven't had time to make any more yet. And I'd love to try the pincushion also . . . so cute! I can't give a specific link to the pincushion--it opens an instant download window rather than a separate page--but just scroll down the righthand sidebar of her blog and you'll see it in the list. There are also a couple other free patterns there, so check it out if you're into sewing/crafting! Lots of beautiful inspiration.

Dave Ramsey's thoughts on the bailout--I appreciate Dave Ramsey's financial advice and common sense, and we're slowly working on using some of his strategies to get more of a handle on our money. I enjoyed reading his thoughts on the recent bailout (which I'm happy to say that both our NH representatives voted against, both times--wish I could say the same for our Senators!).

Well, I know this is a complete hodgepodge of stuff, but hopefully some of you will find one or two interesting things to check out. :) I hope you all have a lovely Saturday. Here it's a gorgeous (albeit chilly) fall day. Bright blue skies and still some color on the trees. I hope to spend some time outdoors and also do a little more pumpkin baking indoors. I made our first pumpkin pie of the season (using pumpkin I roasted myself--first time ever!) yesterday, and it was worth it to see my hubby's eyes light up when he came home. :) Today I may attempt some pumpkin bread, or cupcakes, or scones . . . too many choices! I've even thought about pumpkin ice cream (our ice cream book has a recipe for it). I wonder how that would go with apple crisp or apple pie? Hmmmmm. I love baking in the fall!!!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That Hello my name is Heather blog is adorable!!!! Just what I need . . .more project ideas. :) Thanks!

Mary Ann said...

I'm reading this on Monday morning, so I hope you enjoyed the rest of your weekend & made some delightful pumpkin treats! I have to say that pumpkin is the most wonderful stuff & pumpkin ice cream is so yummy that I could eat it anytime of the day ;-) Let me know if you make it homemade, how it is & how you do it, ok? Thanks!