Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I'm gonna be sore tomorrow . . .

Our town is off to the far left--the group of mostly white buildings. Our house is about 10 minutes on the other side of the town; you can't see it in the picture because it's behind another mountain. :)

Today we decided, spur of the moment, to go for a hike. Jim was home for the morning because he was finishing up our yard work (today was the last day we could have the excavator), and it was such a beautiful day that I suggested a hike after lunch. Of course, I had in mind a nice, easy hike with minimal exertion. Of course, my hubby came up with a different plan . . . a hike up a nearby mountain. :) Well, I certainly found out how very out-of-shape I am! Jim had Julia in one backpack and I had Josiah in another. Sam hiked all the way up and back by himself! He was near tears by the time we got back to the car, just because his feet and legs were hurting, but he did really well and we were so proud of him. The hike is only 2.5 miles round trip, but it's very steep, so going up and down are both challenging. Especially with little ones! We spent quite a while at the top, resting and enjoying the view. It was a nice way to spend an early fall afternoon. And we'll all sleep really well tonight!!

Josiah enjoyed his first mountain climb--aside from crying all the way back down. I think he'd had enough of the backpack by then!Me and my girl
Sam loved being at the top--and was a little too comfortable running around up there, for my liking!
Funny family pic :)
I love this one!!

4 comments:

Mary Ann said...

What a great idea - to go hiking! The pics are great & the view was beautiful. I love the pic of Julia with her mouth in a perfect 'o'. I feel a little bit like I missed summer this year being consumed with remodeling my house, but I intend to enjoy this fall. I'm gonna get outside & although I won't hike any mountains (they're impossible to find in Indiana!) I hope to get in some camping & biking.

Rachel said...

Is Julia singing, "The hills are alive..."? :) What a great workout you all had!! That should count towards your efforts to lose the baby weight, right? It sounds as though it was quite the hike! I loved the pictures of beautiful New England:).

Tracy said...

The pictures are beautiful. I can completely relate to the sore tired feeling after hiking in CO with Ezekiel. I'll be praying you won't be sore for very long.

Unknown said...

Way to take advantage of the great weather! And that's awesome that you got such a good cardiac workout! Way to go, Sam! We went for a short 1.5 mile hike yesterday morning with a friend and her little ones and I was surprised at how quickly both Chloe and I got tuckered out. More hiking is in order for us!