Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Tea Time!

I embarked on a new adventure today: making my own herbal tea! As some of you know, I like to drink a lot of red raspberry leaf tea toward the end of my pregnancies. It's very beneficial in many ways, and though I have no way to prove it, I really believe that it's helped me have two quick and easy birth experiences so far. I was inspired by Tammy's post about making her own pregnancy tea, and Jim gave me the go-ahead to order some herbs to make my own brew. We did a little figuring and discovered that buying herbs in bulk would be a good bit cheaper than buying a bunch of boxed teabags, which is what I've always done before. Anyway, I ordered a half-pound each of 3 different herbs: red raspberry leaf, nettle, and alfalfa, from the Bulk Herb Store. The herbs arrived yesterday and today I mixed up a batch of tea.

Following the proportions for "Mama's Red Raspberry Brew" given on the Bulk Herb Store website (only leaving out the peppermint), I mixed the herbs in a bowl.
Jim and my mom both suggested using coffee filters to make my own "teabags." I measured out 15 teaspoons of the herb blend into each coffee filter . . .
. . . and tied it up with cotton string. Voila! My own tea, all ready for brewing.
My plan was to make iced tea and to make up a large batch at a time, so that's why I made such big teabags. :) One teabag will do for 12 cups (3 qts) of boiling water. I steeped it for quite a while, then added some sugar and lemon juice, and refrigerated it. I'm going to play around with the proportions of sugar a bit because I think I made it a little too sweet. But it wasn't bad for a first attempt! I hope to drink about a quart of tea and a quart of water daily, until I have the baby. We'll see how it goes!

Oh, and as a point of reference: So far I've made up 12 of these teabags, enough to make 36 qts. of tea. I haven't even used up half the herbs yet! The total cost of the herbs (including shipping) was $17.10. So 36 qts. of tea have cost less than $8. In comparison, to buy 6 boxes of Traditional Medicinals red raspberry leaf tea from Amazon (which if I figured correctly, is enough to make 24 qts.) would cost more than $25. It was pretty cool to see how much I saved by buying in bulk!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Very ambitious of you. Does your homemade stuff taste the same as the store bought?

Jenny said...

How did this work for you? I'm considering doing this myself, but how was the taste??

Carrie said...

The taste is kind of similar to regular black tea, or maybe green tea--just a nice mild flavor. I didn't drink any of mine hot, but made it all into iced tea. I used about 1/2 c. of sugar and 4-8 T. of lemon juice, to 12 cups of water and one of my giant teabags. Both Jim and I really liked the flavor a lot! Now I'm not sure what you would want to do if you got the premixed stuff that includes the peppermint. That's why I mixed my own; I didn't want the peppermint in it because for some reason peppermint in tea seems to aggravate my heartburn while pregnant.

I don't know if you have ever tried regular store bought RRL tea, but my mix tasted very similar. If you try it, let me know how you like it! I really do think it helps a lot with labor!