Thursday, November 01, 2007

An exciting weekend

We had the most crazy and fun weekend. It started off quiet enough--Saturday was gloomy and rainy, and we just hung around home all day. Then around 4:30, Jim told me we had to go over to my parents' house and get their furnace started (they heat with wood) so their house would be warm when they got back from Florida later that night. My brother was supposed to start the furnace, but wasn't going to have time to go over there (or at least that's what Jim told me). Little did I know, Jim and Sean were both in on a very big surprise that I was completely clueless about.

(I should insert here, that my parents had been in FL for about 10 days to visit friends. Some of you who read my mom's blog already know that my sister, Joanna, and her son Darrin had flown down to FL too, and surprised my mom. Anyway, they had all left on Friday, Jo and Darrin to fly home to NV, and my parents taking Amtrak back to Boston.)

So fast-forward to Saturday evening. We loaded up the kids and headed over to my parents'. Jim unlocked the door and Sam and Julia went in first. I started to go in too, then took a double take. In the dark hallway were standing three little kids, not two! I couldn't believe it! Here was our little nephew Darrin, who was supposed to be back in NV! As soon as the surprise registered, I started hollering for Jo. She came out of the dining room, giggling at me. She had just recorded my reaction on her digital camera. :) It was so cool that she was able to pull off not only surprising my mom in FL, but also totally surprising me in NH! And the funny thing was, that she was able to completely surprise my mom a second time, since she had no idea they were coming here, either. (Dad had it figured out, but kept the secret.)

Anyway, we had a wonderful weekend. They had to fly back early Tuesday morning, but we crammed a lot into the 2 full days we had! They stayed with us for the first two nights, and it was great to have lots of time to catch up and for our kids to play together. On Saturday night, we went out for dinner at one of our favorite places:


On Sunday, Jo and Darrin went to church with us in the morning and with my parents at night. We all got together for a light supper after our evening services. Unfortunately I forgot to take any pics on Sunday, but Jo got a few good ones.

We spent some time at my parents' on Monday, and my grandmother and aunt were also able to stop in and visit. Here are a few pics of the kids from that day:

Then Monday night we got together for pizza and corn chowder, and Sean & family were able to come too. It was really fun to have all the cousins together again! We tried a quick photo shoot--not the easiest feat with 5 kids age 6 and under. :) But here's one of the best ones (aside from Sam pretending to be asleep!) :
And I couldn't resist posting this one. Notice how the two boys have had enough and are trying to escape!
We are so thankful for the fun weekend visit we were able to have! It was a really special surprise!!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Great pictures! I am so glad that you were able to enjoy your sister and her son for a few days. I think that the pictures of all the cousins are really cute. Sam is a little ham sometimes, isn't he? Is your sister's name Joanna or Joanne? My baby sister's name is Joanna.:)

Carrie said...

Yes, Sam is a little ham. :) And my sister's name is Joanna, but I also have a sister-in-law named Joanne. Oh, and a brother-in-law named Joe. Confusing, huh?! :)

Mary Ann said...

I'm so happy that you got such a wonderful surprise! I know that it had to be special to have that time to visit with Joanna. From the pics it seems like you guys haven't changed a bit since our Northland days. Now you've got a huge challenge - how will you ever top her surprise visit? ;-)

Anonymous said...

You and Joanna have not changed since DCA. What a fun surprise! Is Jo expecting also? I thought I read she was, but now I can't remember.
Zone cleaning- I just picked up two books for the kids and I can't wait to start them! I have been going through clothes and stuff- not something I usually do during the school year, but I got hit with the organizing bug. I know that belonged on your other post.It was easier to comment at one place.

Unknown said...

Joanna gets the surpriser award! Wow, how she managed to keep both surprises is beyond me. I would have been too excited! Though I have been in on a few family trip surprises and it's so much fun to surprise loved ones. My sis lives in New Zealand and we've been able to do a few surprise visits involving her.

You all look wonderful! Love that photo of Sam pretending to sleep. And you and Joanna look just as youthful as you did in college. Probably that wonderful skin you inherited from your mom. :) What a blessing to be able to have a mini-family reunion! Will you get to see them for the holidays at all?

Carrie said...

Thanks to you all who said that we still look like we did in highschool or college--that made my day. :) Now if only I still weighed the same as I did back then . . . :D

I don't know how we will ever top Jo's surprise to us--I am horrible at keeping secrets, so if we ever did pull it off, it would be amazing! Maybe someday.

And yes, Jo is expecting, too--about a month or so ahead of me. It was so much fun getting to spend time with her!!