Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day Fun

Yesterday we tried to give Jim a fun and special Father's Day. Before we left for church, he opened his presents and cards that the kids had made him (with a little help! :)). His big present was a straw cowboy hat that he had picked out on Ebay. I didn't quite get it ordered in time, so we got him a couple other little things--a bag of his favorite chips, and a hanger for the hose, so it won't have to take up space on the deck. The hat came today, and Jim is really happy with it! It will be nice for him to have a cool hat for working on the barn through the summer.
After church, we came home and packed a picnic lunch which I had mostly prepared the day before. Chicken cobb salad on baguettes, deviled eggs, chips, and cranberry lemonade--yum yum! We then headed north and met up with my parents at the Flume Gorge for a picnic. We shared the deviled eggs with them, and they shared their raspberry brownies with us. :) After lunch, we drove a few miles up the road to Cannon Mountain, and rode the tramway to the top. For the past several years, the tramway, flume, and other NH state parks have been free to NH residents on Father's Day. Apparently they are discontinuing that after this year, so we were glad we went! Sam really enjoyed riding the tramway and hiking around the top of the mountain. I think his favorite part was climbing up the observation tower. The weather on the mountain was overcast and very foggy, so we didn't get to see any very good views, but we still had fun. Here are a few pictures:

A foggy view of the valley and the interstate through the Notch
A new family picture, finally! Although not the best of Julia, at least we got a grin out of everyone else!
Self-taken photo of the two of us
Sam loved having special time with his Grampa and Grammy!
We took the "scenic route" home with a quick stop at Clark's Trading Post so Sam could see the trains. We also tried to see the bears, but they had the windows on the pen shuttered, and all we could see was the ears of one bear, by standing on tip-toe. Jim held Sam up on his shoulders to look over the wall, and he got a better view than we did. :)

When we got home, we relaxed for the rest of the evening, and Jim called his parents and wished his dad a happy Father's Day. All in all, it was a really nice day and I hope my sweetie felt a little spoiled and very loved! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that they had a free pass on Father's Day to NH residents!? I wish I had known. I love going through the Flume Gorge and riding up Canon. I, also, like to walk the Basin trail. Do you guys ever go there? I like that area because you get to see all the views without doing the really hard hiking. Doing any hiking with children is really hard.

I hope to get up to The White Mts sometime this summer.

-Zan

Unknown said...

What a special father's day you gave to your hubby! You MUST post that cranberry lemonade recipe. Lemonade is like #2 on my craving list during this pregnancy for some odd reason.

Carrie said...

Zan, I'll let you know if I ever hear of them doing a free day again! Sorry I didn't mention it sooner on my blog! We love going to the Basin too. We haven't been there since before we had kids . . . . we'll have to take them sometime. It's such a nice area. If you come up to the White Mts. this summer, let us know--maybe we can meet up someplace!

Alicia, I will post the cranberry lemonade recipe ASAP to satisfy your cravings!! :) What is #1 on your craving list, out of curiosity?