Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Chocolate Chip Cookies


Sam and I made chocolate chip cookies today--Jim's favorite. I try to keep some on hand most all the time, as Jim likes to take them in his lunch every day. My recipe is adapted from the cookbook that came with my Kitchen Aid mixer, and it's very easy to make (with a big stand mixer, that is), and very yummy. Actually, the only change I've made is to substitute whole wheat flour for 1/3 of the all-purpose flour. I usually double the recipe so I can freeze a bunch of them, and that way I don't have to make them quite as often. :)

Here's the recipe:

1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Place sugar, brown sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla in bowl. Attach bowl and flat beater. Turn to Speed 2 and mix for 30 seconds. Stop and scrape bowl. Turn to Speed 4 and beat for 30 seconds.

Sift flour, salt and baking soda together. Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture on Stir Speed, about 2 minutes. Increase to Speed 2 and beat for 3o seconds. Add chocolate chips on Stir Speed and mix for 15 seconds.

Drop by teaspoonfuls on greased baking sheet, 2 inches apart. (I use a cookie scoop and a stoneware bar pan, or a cookie sheet with a silicone liner.) Bake at 375ยบ for anywhere from 11-15 minutes, depending how chewy or crispy you like them. Enjoy!

Yield: 3 to 3.5 dozen cookies

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for this yummy sounding recipe. I love the idea of putting wheat flour in. I'll definitely try it.

One question, how many chocolate chips do you put in? :)

Also, do you freeze the dough or the cookies?

Carrie said...

LOL Alicia--I can't believe I forgot to put how many chocolate chips!! :) I just edited it--1 cup. I think the original recipe called for 1 1/2-2 cups, though, so just go with what you think looks good.

I freeze the cookies, but you could probably freeze the dough after you scoop it and then bake fresh cookies whenever you want!

Unknown said...

I made these yesterday, yummy yummy. I used 1/2 applesauce and 1/2 butter to make them even healthier. That way I can eat 3 at a time and not feel guilty about it. ;) Thanks for sharing the recipe.