Monday, November 06, 2006

Catching up . . . again!


Wow, I can't believe over a week has passed since I've blogged! I'm not losing interest in it . . . on the contrary, I have SO many things rolling around in my mind to write about! . . . but I just haven't had the time to sit down and do so. Life has been so busy!

Julia at 6 months

Julia hit the 6 month mark on October 29th! I can't believe she is half a year old. She had her 6 month checkup last Monday. She weighed in at a whopping 16 lbs. 7 oz. and is 24.5" long. She is such a little chub--especially in the legs! I went back and checked Sam's baby book to see how he compared at 6 months. He was 2 inches longer and 2 pounds heavier than she is, so I guess he was a pretty big boy! The dr. was very happy with her health and development and she was thankfully in a good mood during the checkup, which is always nice. :) The only time she cried was when she got weighed and meaured--for some reason she wasn't crazy about that.

She is starting to do really well with her balance. Although we can't leave her sitting someplace by herself, she does sit for pretty long stretches of time without toppling over. Sam likes for us to put her on the bed and let her sit, and then he giggles hysterically when she does tip over (we stay right there with them, of course). He thinks it is the funniest thing. Julia is also rolling over a lot more. She has also started reaching and grabbing more (especially my hair), blowing "raspberries," and getting separation anxiety at times. I've discovered that she really enjoys riding around in our Snugli backpack, and will usually fall asleep in it after a while, so I've been putting her in there sometimes while I cook, clean, or play the piano. Unfortunately my back and shoulders get pretty sore so I can't leave her in there for more than an hour or so, but at least it gives me a good way to get things done without her getting really fussy. I really, really would like to get myself an Ergo carrier. I know it's not a need, but I have heard overwhelmingly good reviews of them, and how they are so much more comfortable for your shoulders and back. So I think I will work on saving up for one.

Rebate news

I received my first Rite-Aid rebate check on Saturday! I was so tickled to get a check for $47.52, and to see my little pile of freebies growing!! :) Some weeks there is a lot of stuff available for free, while other weeks there are only one or two things. Last week there was a bunch of stuff, but I was only able to get about half of it at our Rite-Aid, as they were out of some of the items. This week the only thing I saw for free (that I would actually use) was a surge protector power strip for $4 with a $4 rebate. I also got a Reach toothbrush that was marked down to $2.99 with a $2 rebate, making it .99 total. And I picked up an Oral B Cross-Action power toothbrush which I had printed out an online rebate form for. Once I get the money back for that one, it will also be free. Fun stuff!

Love Songs

Tonight I'm listening to Eddy Arnold crooning love songs in the background. I have to say that I just love listening to "oldie" type of love songs, particularly from the 1940s and 1950s--you know, the kind by all the famous old crooners such as Bing Crosby, Tony Bennett, Dean Martin (I guess he was a little later, but I still enjoy a lot of his), Andy Williams, etc. They are so sweet and beautiful, and nostalgic sounding. Very relaxing and fun to listen to! We love to have music playing in the background at our home--we listen to a lot of sacred recordings such as those by the Steve Pettit team and Stephen Eager, and also cowboy/western recordings such as "Happy Trails" and "Round-Up," and "My Rifle, My Pony, and Me," some soundtracks such as "Anne," and some love songs as previously mentioned. I hope our children will grow up to love music as much as we do!

Thinking about old love songs leads me to thinking about old movies. We recently watched "Casablanca" and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had seen it a long time ago, but at that time I don't think I really "got" it, as it didn't leave much of an impression on me. This time I loved it, so much that I may just have to add it to my wish list. :) So many great lines in that movie!! Another oldie that we watched a while back was "Stage Door Canteen." While a bit predictable, it was still a really neat film and we liked it a lot. I especially enjoyed the song "We Mustn't Say Goodbye" and I'm hoping to get the sheet music for it eventually.

Well, I suppose I should stop jabbering and get this posted. I have an apple pie baking in the oven (per Jim's request--I told him I would make him one if he would peel the apples for me!), and I have some laundry to fold before bedtime. I hope to get a chance to blog a little more this week than I did last week!! :)

QUESTION OF THE WEEK: What are some of your favorite old songs/artists to listen to, or your favorite old movies?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my, I don't think I can answer question in just a comment - I have too many old favorites! I love Frank, Bing, Judy Garland, Doris Day but never cared for Dean Martin. I always picture him singing with a martini in his hand . . .

My all time fave old movie has got to be White Christmas. I'm a big fan of old musicals too. It's a corny genre but you have to appreciate their clean humor and storylines in this day and age. :)

Whoa, Julia's 6 mos. old already? Glad to hear she's a hefty healthy girl! I won't tell you what Chloe weighed when she was 6 mos. I will say that she was bigger than your little one!

Jenny said...

We have a great CD by Nat "King" Cole that we love to listen to! And my favorite old movie HAS to be Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn!!!

Carrie said...

Alicia, thanks for the comment! LOL about picturing Dean Martin w/a martini . . . I could see how that would be a turn-off to his singing. :) I've never actually seen him sing aside from in the John Wayne movie "Rio Bravo" which doesn't really count. :)

I absolutely love White Christmas too, and watch it at least a couple times a year (even sometimes in summer!), and I also love It's a Wonderful Life, and tons more.

Yes, I can't believe Julia is 6 mos. already, either. Your little gal has been off the charts since she was born, hasn't she?! :) She sure is adorable!!

Anonymous said...

you might want to check in to a sling that you wear on the frot of you then as she is able to sit she sits in the sling and just like you were holding her my sister in law has one and loves it.

Carrie said...

Zan, we love The Quiet Man and Friendly Persuasion too!! And also some Alfred Hitchcocks. I will have to check into some of those other ones you mentioned! I also love Broadway soundtracks . . . there are so many great ones.

Jenny--oh, I forgot about Nat! I don't have any of his recordings, but I hear him on the radio once in a while. He had such a cool voice! And Roman Holiday is one of my all time favorites, too!!! Just about anything with Audrey, actually . . . I only wish it ended "happily ever after"--sigh. :)

Anonymous--thanks for the sling suggestion! My sister has a pouch type sling and she really likes it, too. :)

Anonymous said...

My little climber is very content on my back, its the only way to keep him out of trouble - although he also likes to climb my back. I have a winter knitted hat that I started wearing when I wear him, it has saved many a hair pull. It does look a little funny doing housework in a winter hat.

Our family likes to watch the old Moody Science videos, I guess that does not count as a movie, but we love to listen to Dr. Moon glorify God through science.

My favorite music is Alferd B. Smith (Actually my husband sining in his voice is my favorite) I love most of his songs, but my favorite is "Shall I turn back?" It is so cute when my 3yr old breaks in with "no,no, not I".

Carrie said...

Joey, what kind of carrier do you have? I like your idea about the hat! :)

I don't think I've seen any of the Moody science videos--I bet they are good! Probably also a good supplement t homeschool curriculum. I will have to keep an eye out for them.

That was a cute story about your 3 yr. old singing along w/Alfred B. Smith. :) I've never heard that song. I remember hearing him in person once when I was a kid--I believe it was at the church in Ascutney. If I remember right, he sat on some kind of tall stool while he was singing; I thought that was unusual!

I love my husband's singing voice, too. I wish I could sing as well ads he does! We have been singing more around the house lately, but sometimes Sam tells me to be done singing! I guess he can tell that I can't carry a tune as well as Jim can! :)