Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Wednesday Medley

{cool pic by Sam}
This week I am jumping into the Wednesday Medley hosted by Terri at Your Friend from Florida.  I may not have the chance to participate every week, but I thought it would be fun to join in sometimes!  Today's topic is partly about Good Samaritan Day (March 13), and partly about Pi Day (March 14).

NATIONAL GOOD SAMARITAN DAY

National Good Samaritan Day is observed on March 13th.  This day is also known as Good Samaritan Involvement Day. This is a day for unselfish actions to help those in need and to celebrate kindness.
The term “good Samaritan” comes from the Bible parable where a Samaritan helped a stranger who had been robbed and beaten and left to die by the side of the road.  The Samaritan not only cleaned the man’s wounds and clothed him, but took him to an inn where he paid for the man’s care.
The term is used today to describe those who perform acts of kindness for those in need, especially those who are strangers.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Make an effort to help someone who is struggling or having a problem. Use #GoodSamaritanDay to post on social media.
------------------------------------------------------

1.  When did someone come to your rescue and can you tell us about it? There have been a number of times over the years!  One that came to mind quickly was the time that we got our truck stuck just down the road from our property when we were clearing the land to build our house.  It was mud season, and we got a little too close to the ditch when we "got over" to make room for an oncoming car (our road is fairly narrow and we weren't used to it yet).  A few minutes later, along came a kind older couple in a truck, who happily gave us a tow, along with the advice to "never get over to give someone room on THIS road!" 😁

2.  When did you help someone out of a jam and can you tell us about it? We had the chance to pull someone else out of the ditch on our road a few years later!  Then there was also the time that one of my dad's coworkers had a flat tire just down the road from our house.  He made it into our driveway and when I realized what was going on, I sent Sam down to see if he could use a hand.  I found out later he was really happy to have Sam's help.  

3.  What are your thoughts on being a good Samaritan?  Some states (like Florida) have even passed Good Samaritan laws so you don't get into trouble with the law for trying to help someone.  I am always happy to help someone, provided it's someone I know (if I am by myself).  In cases that we stop to help a stranded motorist or whatever, I am a little leery and would never do that by myself, just knowing how things can be in this day and age.  I do think it's important to be on the lookout for ways we can jump in and give someone a helping hand when we see a need, though...as long as we use wisdom at the same time.

4.  Thursday is National Pi Day.  It's a fun play on the date 3.14.  Will you have some pie to celebrate? I don't know that I'll have time to make a pie tomorrow (or ingredients?) as Thursdays are very busy for me.  We'll see.  Maybe a Tollhouse cookie pie?   But tonight I made beef pot pie with leftover pot roast and veggies, and that is always so YUMMY!

5.  Did you know that Pi is the most studied number in mathematics?  Are you good with numbers?  I think I probably knew that...at least I know it is maybe the most famous/interesting number!  I am fairly good with numbers, as long as it's what I call "everyday math."  Balancing checkbooks, basic math, budgeting...stuff like that.  Or even cooking math.  But not so great with anything like algebra or above!

6.  Tell us something random about your week.  We finished such a fun book for school this week.  It's called The Sherwood Ring, and while I originally thought it was going to be set in England (Sherwood Forest?), it was actually set in the United States, in the mid-20th century, and has these "ghosts" from the Revolutionary era who keep making appearances.  It sounds weird but is a really great story.  The kids and I all loved it and we read it twice as fast as it was supposed to be scheduled, just because no one could bear to stop in the middle of a chapter.  I give this one 5 stars and highly recommend it!

And that wraps up my Wednesday medley for this week!  Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Mrs.T said...

Wow, Carrie! You are really keeping up with the blogging this week!

So much fun to read this -- and a neat surprise as well!

That book sounds really fascinating. It's always so much fun when no one can bear to stop reading in the middle of a chapter.