Monday, March 11, 2019

One Tiny Thing


One of my goals in taking time off from social media is to tackle some of the little things around the house that have been bothering me (and of course some bigger things, too).  As a busy homeschooling mom, I really don't have as much time as I'd like (even without wasting time online!) to accomplish some of those deep-cleaning and organizing projects, or even just areas where the piles of stuff have built up.  Or even (being honest) some of the basic chores like cleaning the bathroom sinks!  So last week I decided that as much as possible, I'm going to tackle one tiny thing each weekday...usually something I've been putting off that has started to bug me.  Some days I might even be able to get more than one tiny thing done!

Last week I mended shirts for each of the boys, one of which got ripped LAST SPRING and has sat on the dryer of all places ever since.  (While cleaning my laundry room last week I found it and remembered I needed to sew it up.)  Neither mending job was perfect, but the shirts are now rip-free and in the boys' drawers, and removed from (strange) places like the dryer or the sewing box.  Today I did two tiny things: clearing off the hope chest in my room, which too often becomes a catch-all instead of a pretty space, and also putting away books from my to-read pile, which had ended up in a big literal pile on the floor.  I still have a few there, but over half have been put away on shelves.  These two tiny things made a big difference in the overall tidiness of the room!

I think tomorrow's tiny thing will be wiping down the master bathroom sinks and mirror.

I have a specific reason for wanting to tackle some of these spaces before the end of April (which is a secret so I can't share it here yet!), and I'm excited to be making a little headway, even if it's in tiny steps.  I feel encouraged that maybe I can tackle some even bigger projects (like sewing a quilt I started for Josiah last year) in tiny steps, too. 

3 comments:

Mrs.T said...

This is such an encouraging post! I think that I need to form the habit of doing one tiny thing each day, too. Great idea ... thanks for sharing!

And your hope chest looks beautiful!

Kathleen :-) said...

Oh, how I love all of these special photos!!! :-) All of very special people!!! :-) And...HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Sam....can't believe he's so grown up!!!!!

Carrie said...

@Mrs. T: my hope chest has a few things back on it now, but hopefully I'll get it cleaned off for good once I can find new homes for a few things (and mail a few packages!)

@Kathleen: I think this comment ended up on the wrong post somehow, but I can't figure out how to move it! I'm so glad you enjoyed the photos...I had a lot of fun following the kids around to take them. :) I can't believe Sam is so grown up either. When I started this blog he was just over 1 year old!!