Wednesday, January 01, 2014

New goals and one word for 2014

Happy New Year!  I'm pretty sure I say this every year, but I really love the feeling of a fresh start when January 1st rolls around.  I spent some time today mapping out my goals for 2014, and also reviewing my goals from last year.  Although I'm not going to take time to go back and update with how I did on every single goal I set last year, I will say that as usual, I hit some and missed some. :)  One big goal that I did accomplish though, was reading through my Bible in a year.  This is the first time I've ever reached that goal (as far as I remember), and the plan I used took me once through the Old Testament, and twice through the New Testament and Psalms.  I'm very glad I did it; it was a really neat way to get an overview of God's word!  At the same time, I'm not planning to do so again this year; instead I want to focus more on specific topics/passages/book studies, so I'll try to keep you posted on how that goes!

I also wanted to choose "one word" to focus on in 2014.  Last year, I ended up going with two words: intention and worship.  I feel like I failed in many areas, not keeping those themes in mind as much as I should have, but looking back I feel like 2013 was one of the best years we've had as a family, and much of that was because we intentionally made time to do special things.  So I guess intention was there more than it seemed. :)  Worship was there too, just not in my focus as much as it could have/should have been.  Anyway.  Earlier this week I was mulling over what one word to pick for this year, and I felt God impressing the word "love" on my heart.  Like I Corinthians 13 says, if I do everything "right" but without love, it isn't profitable.  If I keep a perfectly organized and clean home (ha!) and don't love on my family, it's pointless.  If I serve a friend in need but do it out of duty and not love, shame on me!  So this year I'm asking God to give me more of His love, so I can pour that love out to others in tangible ways.  There are many other words that came to mind, words I thought about choosing . . . words like "prayer," and "gratitude," and "joy," and "contentment" . . . but I kept coming back to love, and that's where I believe I need to land for this year.  Side note: I was thrilled to find the free "one word" blog button above and instructions on how to adapt it with my own word here at Only a Breath!!

Without further ado, here are my goals for the new year.  Some of these are the same or similar to last year's, but I've made a shorter list this time around, so hopefully I'll stay more focused and not fizzle out on goal-setting partway through the year, which is what usually happens. :)

Personal:

  • Be consistent with daily quiet times
  • Exercise regularly and make healthy choices
  • Reach my new goal weight 
  • Read at least 2 books per month
  • Spend time in creative pursuits (sewing/crafting/baking) and learn some new things
Marriage:
  • Go on one date per month
  • Go on one or two overnight getaways--hopefully March and October
  • Focus on how I can serve and encourage Jim daily
  • Read together 
Family:
  • Go on several fun family trips/outings
  • Consistently teach the kids piano lessons 
  • Spend one-on-one time with the kids often
Homemaking:
  • Declutter one room/space every month
  • Involve the kids in daily chores
Ministry/Hospitality/Encouragement
  • Begin hosting a monthly moms' group
  • Have friends over once a month
  • Continue serving in church ministries (piano and Sunday school)
Blogging: 
  • Post 2-3 times per week
  • Respond to every comment and be a better encourager to the friends who visit my site
Financial: 
  • Demonstrate a life & philosophy of giving for our children
  • Stick to a budget
  • Give to specific needs as God puts it on our hearts

There you have it! :)  Today or tomorrow I plan to post my specific goals for this month, as well as a tentative reading list for this year.  I hope your new year is off to a beautiful start!

2 comments:

1HappyWife said...

Happy New Year to you and your family!!! I always love to read your goal posts!!!

Carrie said...

Happy New Year to you, too!! Sorry it took me SOOO long to publish your comment…I haven't had time to blog this week and I kept forgetting to take care of the comments! Hope your year is off to a good start. :)