Wednesday, November 06, 2013

30 Days of Thankfulness: November 6


Today I'm thankful for good, fun, children's books.  We are raising some avid little readers in our family, and I am grateful . . . and I know a lot of the credit goes to the great books by authors like Mo Willems (The Pigeon, Knufflebunny, Elephant and Piggy), Robert McCloskey (Blueberries for Sal, One Morning in Maine, Make Way for Ducklings), Virginia Lee Burton (Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, The Little House, Katy and the Big Snow), as well as some of our favorite chapter book authors for young readers, such as Cynthia Rylant (Henry & Mudge, Mr. Putter & Tabby) and Clyde Robert Bulla (A Lion to Guard Us, Pocahontas and the Strangers, The Secret Valley).

This doesn't even include all the fantastic books we've read aloud for school or just for fun . . . I could mention so many more, like C.S. Lewis, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Noel Streatfeild, Elizabeth Enright, Maud Hart Lovelace, LM Montgomery, Elizabeth George Speare . . . the list could go on and on.  Seriously, if you haven't heard of some of these books or authors, check them out. :)  Children's literature is SO MUCH FUN and there are just lots of wonderful books out there!!  I don't have time to post links to all the books I've listed, but just do an Amazon search and you will find them!  

Someday I hope to do a much more detailed post with recommended reading lists for different age groups.  When I have lots of extra time on my hands. ;)  For now, maybe this will whet your appetite and you might discover some new favorites of your own!

3 comments:

Mrs. Smith said...

I was just saying to my family yesterday how I love children's books as much as I do age appropriate, wondering if that was quirky, when they assured me that they are like that too. I had fun with discovering that you posted about it - two great minds running together. ;D

Billie Jo said...

Hello there, Carrie...
I am visiting from Mrs. Smith's today and am adding your lovely spot here to my Dashboard at once!

Have a cozy evening!

Mrs.T said...

I have always loved kids' books and continue to delight in seeing my grandchildren introduced to them. I'm happy that all of the grandkids who've learned to read, love reading!