Thursday, December 15, 2011

Savoring the Season: Christmas Countdown, Day 10

Yesterday we wrapped a bunch of presents! It felt good to finally get a start on that, although we still have quite a few to do.

Today I am making chex mix. One of my fondest "food memories" of Christmases growing up was of my Great-Great-Aunt Bessie's chex mix that she gave out as gifts every year. My mom, sister and I would always go down the road to visit her in her little trailer and she would give us a tin of "mix." (That's what my sister and I always called it. :)) I always loved visiting her in her cozy little home. Interestingly, many years later Jim and I actually lived for several years in Bessie's old trailer . . . and while it was "cozy" for one elderly lady, it was a little bit tight for 2 people, and even tighter when we added Sam! Still, we were VERY thankful for a snug place to live while we were building our house. And I always thought it was kind of neat to live there, and cook in the same kitchen that Bessie did so many years ago.

Bessie has been gone for a long time, but I always think about her when I make chex mix! I pretty much use the basic recipe that you can find on the box, only I don't use rice chex or the bagel bits, and I add cheerios. I also just use peanuts instead of mixed nuts.

1 comment:

Camille said...

I love Chex Mix! My mom used to make it every Christmas and now I do. The only problem is that my kids go through a batch in about two days. I can't believe Christmas is only a week away!