Thursday, March 31, 2011

Book Review: Love Food & Live Well


I really enjoyed Love Food & Live Well by Chantel Hobbs. I had never heard of her before I received this book to review, but I found her down-to-earth writing style fun to read, and her explanations of various topics such as simple and complex carbohydrates, protein, exercise, etc. were easy to understand, even for a non-health-nut like me!

I especially appreciated the fact that Chantel wrote this book (and her previous books) based on personal experience. She was once very overweight; she lost 200 lbs. (and has kept it off!) through changing her eating habits and faithfully exercising. She recommends keeping careful track of calories, making sure you're getting the best nutritional value you can from those calories, and starting off with at least 30 minutes of cardio exercise, 5 days a week. She includes practical examples of exercise routines, and detailed descriptions (with pictures) of quite a few different exercises, as well. She also has a small section of recipes for healthy meals (I would have loved this section to be a little bigger!). The only little "issue" I had with the recipes is that some of them call for packaged foods such as "egg substitute"--not a big deal, but personally I'd rather get my calories from real eggs from my own chickens, instead of a substitute. :)

Overall this was a really good book--probably one of the best weight loss books that I've ever read, simply because of the friendly, encouraging tone, and also the fact that Chantel points the reader to Christ, that we may seek His help in the area of health and fitness. I would definitely recommend Love Food & Live Well to anyone seeking some practical help and encouragement for weight loss!

No comments: