Friday, June 11, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie


A while back, a Facebook/bloggy friend had asked me to post my strawberry rhubarb pie recipe. I just remembered today, because I finally made one (first time this year!). The recipe I used today was slightly different--it used 1 1/4 c. sugar rather than 1 1/3. And I used 3 c. of rhubarb instead of two. Otherwise it was pretty much the same. It definitely brought a smile to my hubby's face when he got home from work! :)

I realized that I had posted this recipe a few years back, so I dug it out of the archives. Enjoy!

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Pastry for 2 crust pie
1 1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. flour OR 3 T. cornstarch
2 c. cut up fresh rhubarb (or more)
2 c. cut up strawberries
2 T. butter

Stir together sugar and flour or cornstarch. Put half of rhubarb and strawberries in bottom pie crust in pie pan, sprinkle with half of sugar mixture. Repeat layers. Dot with butter. Put on top crust, seal and flute edges, and cut several slits in the crust. Bake at 425ยบ for 40-50 minutes, until juice is bubbling through the slits a little. Make sure to put foil or a pan underneath to catch any juice that bubbles over! Cover the edges of the crust with foil if necessary to prevent them getting too brown. Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Kara said...

You make pie like I do- increase fruit! Decrease sugar! I loooooove fruit pies. I could eat an entire blueberry pie by myself I think.

Mrs. Doug said...

Mmmmm sound yummy. Mr. D likes rhubarb with only apple juice as a sweetener. A little too sour for me. We harvested our strawberries just before the rain this weekend. Ripe berrys don't like the rain. We were able to harvest about 2 quarts and ate them all. I like them with a little sugar and topped with plain whole milk yogurt. Tastes like strawberry cheese cake without the crust.

Guess with the next picking I should make some strawberry rhubarb pie for Mr. D

Have a super day.

Mrs. D