Sunday, March 14, 2010

A different Sunday

Today has been interesting. I woke up dark and early this morning, my body protesting heartily due to the time change--5 am felt like 4 am!! We had decided last night that just Sam, Julia, and I would go to church this morning, since Josiah had a runny nose and I was supposed to teach the 4 year old class. Anyway, I was dreading the hour-long trip a little bit because it was really windy and rainy, but we ventured out bravely. We got out on the highway with no problem and I set the cruise . . . then almost immediately I just didn't feel comfortable with how windy it was, and slowed down to around 50-55. I was so glad I did, because in about a mile the rain suddenly had turned to snow/sleet and the road was very slippery. The cars in front of me had slowed down to around 35-40, and before long we came upon an accident where a car had overturned and was upside-down in the median. An ambulance had just gotten there. By this time I had already decided to get off at the first exit and go home; there was no way I was going to make it to church on time going that slow, even if I had been brave enough to drive down there by myself. I called Jim quickly and asked him to call the ECM director to let her know I wasn't going to make it. We took our time going home, and by the time we got back to our town, it was just raining again. Weird weather! I am so thankful for God's protection . . . I can see how easy it would have been to slide off the road, because the weather changed so quickly from rain to snow. If it hadn't been for the wind making me nervous, I could have been sailing right along and hit the snow before I realized it, too.

When we got home, we snuggled up and watched some movies, ate lunch, and I started a little sewing project. Now I am headed to make some pizza dough, and then I think a nap will be next on my list. :)

I am hoping to get some more interesting posts up soon--I have lots of things to write about, but just not enough time (or organization) to get them typed out. :) I did want to give you all a heads up that I will be doing a little giveaway here soon--possibly tonight or tomorrow if I get things ready in time . . stay tuned!

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

Carrie, I'm so glad you paid attention to you instinct & thank God for keeping your family safe! Driving in winter weather is so nerve-wracking. I have to do it for work sometimes & the snow/sleet can make a one hour trip a very scary thing. I'm glad you were able to enjoy some cozy time at home.
Here's to spring - bring it on! :-)