Saturday, October 03, 2009

Time to catch up (again!)

I feel bad that I've been doing such a lousy job keeping up with the blog lately! I really enjoy blogging; it's been a wonderful outlet for me and a really fun way to record our life over the past 4+ years . . . I wish I could make more time for it! I'm going to try to do better and at least get one or two posts up each week. I know there are some of you out there that keep up with us mostly through the blog, and I'm sorry I haven't done so well updating on our lives!

Let's see . . . Fall is officially here and going by way too fast. It doesn't help that we've had a lot of rain this week, so not so much time to enjoy the foliage, which is getting close to peak! We haven't done a whole lot of interesting or unusual things lately, but we HAVE gotten a lot of house projects done--praise the Lord!! I will share about those (with pics!) in a separate post. It is exciting to see things moving along. We have set a goal of trying to get the house finished by Thanksgiving 2010. Obviously this will depend on two major things: money and time. :) But it feels good to have something to shoot for. We have made really good progress over the summer, and it's given us a boost to get so much done on some of the bigger stuff.

Homeschooling continues to go well. We just completed our 7th week. We took a week off while we were working on some major house projects, but the next week I doubled up on some of the schoolwork, so we've actually finished 7 weeks of the curriculum, although only 6 weeks by the calendar. Sam is still really enjoying school, for the most part. His reading is coming along well, even though he is convinced it's "hard" at this point. :) I'm pleased with the progress he's making, and trying not to push too hard. It's really fun to listen to him starting to read sentences more smoothly and quickly!

Jim and I have started going through Financial Peace University (again!--we've still never gotten all the way through it, although we've had the program for two years), and I also borrowed The Total Money Makeover from the library, so we're reading through that as well. We have been really challenged and convicted of how we need to become better managers of the finances God has blessed us with. We've been rather loosely budgeting for the past year, but this month we set up a more concrete one and actually took out cash for our grocery envelope. For most of this year, my goal has been to spend $300/month or less on groceries, but I decided to cut back even more, and this month's budget is $250. Which will be quite a challenge for me, but we did well for the first week, spending only $51.44. So I have hope that we'll be able to make this amount work for our family!

If you all think to pray for us, will you please pray for work for my hubby? We are heading into the "slow season" after a nice and busy summer where he had three good sized jobs. Knowing how tight things were last winter has made me rather anxious about this one . . . but I need to remind myself to "be anxious for nothing!!" (Phil. 4:6)

Well, I will wrap this up now because I have a couple other separate posts that I hope to get up today as well. Hope you're all having a lovely weekend!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Carrie,

Thanks for the catch-up post! I too have been feeling like I haven't been blogging like I ought lately. There's just not enough time in the day!

Chloe's the same with reading and thinking it's "hard". I'm not even pushing her to do sentences yet -- just going through the phonics rules slowly and with games. I have a great phonics game resource that I can pass your way -- I don't think I still have your email address so email me at alicia m horn at gmail dot com and I'll pass it on to you if you're interested.

God is so good -- I look forward to seeing how He provides for your family through the winter months!

Arlene G said...

I just saw these posts and I have to say I LOVE your house...it is so pretty. You really encourage me with your posts on being good stewards. With the holidays approaching, I need to do better. Will be praying for you!

Mary Ann said...

Carrie, I understand how the winter makes you wonder about finances. My dad is a landscaper so all of my growing up years I kind of dreaded the cold weather 'lean' months. I will be praying that the Lord takes good care of your family. You seem to be really striving to make the best of what you have; He will honor that & give you the needed wisdom. Thanks for updating - I always enjoy your posts!