Friday, July 31, 2009

A Day at Home

Ahhhh . . . I am loving this day at home! My house is a serious mess, but we will tackle that a bit at a time. This has been a crazy busy week. It feels like we have been on the go a lot more than usual, plus it's been really hot and muggy most of the week, which is tiring in itself! Today is cool and rainy again. Mighty interesting weather we've been having this summer!

Last Friday night was a date night for me and Jim. We planned to go to the Weathervane (seafood), but we got a really late start and the closest one is an hour away, so we opted to go somewhere a little bit closer instead. We ended up at Chili's, and had a fabulous time! Even though we were a little sad to miss out on the fish that we were hankering for, we had a great meal at Chili's, and to make it even better, they are running this "2 for $20" deal right now where you can get an appetizer to share, 2 entrees (you get a bunch of different ones to choose from), and a dessert to share. It's a pretty good deal for couples! We got stuffed and I brought part of my meal home since we had to fit dessert in there somewhere too! :)

Yesterday was my busiest day this week. In the morning, the kids and I went to town to get groceries, which is our normal Thursday routine. Then we had to go back to town in the afternoon for Josiah's 15-mo. checkup. I dropped Sam and Julia off at my parents' house and went to the appt, then hit Rite Aid for a few deals, then picked the older kids up and zoomed home. I had a little less than an hour to throw a pizza together, and get ready to head out the door again (just me, this time) to go to a friend's baby shower. I met up with a couple of other friends and we rode down together (the shower was an hour away). We had a nice time, and my friend V. and I both won the baby food tasting/guessing game! I was surprised that I guessed right on all of them (there were 10 different ones) because I haven't bought baby food for ages and usually never tasted it, even when I did buy it! Baby food=pretty nasty, in my opinion!! :) Anyway, we got home from that a little after 10 pm, relaxed and chatted with Jim for a while, and finally went to bed around midnight. So today has been a lazy day. :)

I know some of you have been wondering how our garden is doing! Well, honestly, not as well as we'd like . . . a lot of the gardens around here are suffering from too much rain! Some things are growing great, though. The lettuce is doing pretty well--we harvested the first of that this week--and the sugar snap peas are doing awesome! We have two little tomatoes coming along, and I think we may get three more besides. I still have hopes for the cukes, beans, carrots and pumpkin. I don't think the zucchini, corn, or watermelon are going to do anything. And the pepper plants do have some teeny tiny green peppers on them, but I have no idea if they're going to make it to full size! At least we now have some plans for things to do differently next year . . . we need to add more soil to the boxes, start a lot of things indoors (or use more plants instead of seeds), and plant way more lettuce (it takes a lot to make enough salad for all of us!). Anyway, here is a picture of how everything looked about a week ago . . . I will take a new picture soon, but not today--too rainy! (Oh, and notice my new hostas behind the garden! A friend was getting rid of a bunch and generously offered them to us, and they sure do pretty things up around the yard!)
Well, that's a little bit of an update on us! I better get busy now, but I do plan to put up a Homemade Life post in the next few hours, so stay tuned for that! Hope you're all having a nice Friday!

No comments: