Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Potty Time!

So, I decided this would be a good week to really start potty-training Julia. I've made a few half-hearted attempts in the past, but she hasn't shown much interest. Monday night, Jim got her to go in the potty with very little difficulty, so I figured I might have some success yesterday. We worked on it all morning, with me taking her to the bathroom every so often, and not once did she go in the potty. She did go through about 5 or 6 pairs of undies, though! Oh dear. Last night, Jim again got her to go on the potty--twice. I've decided he is a much better motivator than I am! So far today, she has kept her undies dry and has gone on the potty 3 times--once for Jim and twice for me. Yay! She's been enthusiastically rewarded with cheers and chocolate chips each time. We'll see what happens, but I am cautiously optimistic that she's starting to get the hang of it. :) I would love to get her fully trained by Christmas, but I know it took a while with Sam . . . I've heard girls are easier, though.

Back in September, I decided to also get really serious about using cloth diapers with both Julia and Josiah. I've gone through spurts of using them, then slacking off, but I decided it was time to buckle down and really use them. My goal was to only use disposables at night and on Sundays, and maybe while we were out doing errands. It's been going pretty well. I bought one large box of diapers for Julia in early September, and didn't have to buy more till last week. For Josiah, I've had to buy about one pack per month. This month, he moved into a bigger size, so I bought a large box for him which has twice as many diapers as the mega-packs, and I'm hopeful that that may last about 2 months. Or it may not, since we'll be using them full time during the week we go visit family for the holidays. Anyway, I figure we've reduced our diaper spending by at least half, which has been a blessing. :) And if Julia potty-trains quickly, maybe I won't even have to buy any more for her!

Anyway, I guess that is pretty much my life this week . . . potty training . . . oh, and washing dishes, doing laundry, and trying to make some Christmas presents! I'll hopefully have something more interesting to write about soon. :) Hope you're all having a great week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't try to hard kids potty train when they are ready. Jonathan decided the day Ruth was born that he was now a big boy! With Grace we had bought a little crib that was the cost of pull-ups, left it in the box till she was dry through the night for a couple weeks than she got the crib. A timer works great during the day! -Joey

Unknown said...

Sounds like Jim should take off a week from work and do the potty training with Julia. :) How's it going thus far?

I hear ya about trying to find time to make presents . . . I've got several ideas and so far I've not even finished one gift!