Saturday, September 06, 2008

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Lately I’ve been on a cake-baking kick, and the cake of choice is chocolate zucchini cake. I was mentioning this to a friend recently and she had never tasted it . . . so here’s the recipe in case it’s a new thing to some of you as well. This was the only way I really liked zucchini when I was a kid--I think it was my most detested vegetable. :) My mom always told me my taste buds would change when I grew up and I never believed her. BUT, she was right. I can actually stand zucchini now and even like it quite well in certain recipes. Amazing! Anyway, this is an excellent cake and it stays so moist because of all the zucchini in it!

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup oil

1 3/4 cups sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup buttermilk

2 cups shredded zucchini (you can use the whole thing--no need to peel it)

1 cup chocolate chips

3/4 cup chopped nuts, optional (I’ve never added these)

Preheat oven to 325º. Sift together the first 4 ingredients. Set aside. Cream together butter, oil, and sugar in a medium bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in vanilla. Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk; mix thoroughly. Stir in zucchini. Pour batter into a greased 9”x13” pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts, if desired. Bake for 55 minutes or until cake tests done. Yield: 12-15 servings


Jim says he thinks he likes this even better than my regular chocolate cake! Sam noticed the "green stuff" inside, but I just told him that was the secret ingredient that made the cake so good. :) He and Julia love it, too.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Looks yummy! I love your response to Sam's question:). If I made this, I'd be obligated to eat it all because my poor husband cannot eat chocolate at all. It makes his Crohn's flare up big-time. Maybe I can make it for company sometime. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a way to get my hubby to like zucchini! Oddly enough both Chloe and Clive have LOVED zucchini purees when they were babies. Weird, eh?

$5 Dinner Mom said...

Yum Yum! I am going to have to try this! I just made Zucchini Pineapple Bread...it's great...but this one will curb my chocolate cravings! You can peel off the skin before shredding it and it will bake in "clear"...no more "green stuff"!