Thursday, September 04, 2008

Challenge? What challenge?

LOL. It's been a busy week, and I think I'm gonna have to postpone the challenge till next week! We've been dealing with some discipline/training stuff with Sam in particular this week, and that needs more work than my house, which is saying a lot (and actually, housework would be a lot more fun!). Anyway, I'll try to plug away at doing some cleaning over the weekend--maybe I can get some done tomorrow--but I'm not going to stress about it too much. :)

Pray for me--I'm finding consistency in discipline issues to be so hard right now when I have two other little ones to keep up with. But I know it will someday pay off, and that this season of life won't last forever! Please pray that God would refresh my spirit in the meantime, though, and give me the strength I need. I don't see how you moms of more than 3 kids do it!! I feel sooo stretched with just three.

I recently read a quote (sorry I can't give credit where it's due, because I have no IDEA where I read it now!) that said, "The days are long, but the years are short" (in regard to our children). That really struck a chord with me. Sometimes the days do feel SO long right now, but the years are passing a lot faster than I like. I only have this short time to train my children and turn their hearts toward God. I want to do my very best with His help!!

I just started re-reading The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson. I got it over a year ago, but never got all the way through it . . . not because it's not good, but because I got sidetracked. Lindsay over at Passionate Homemaking is starting a study on this book, and I figured it would be a good way to get motivated to read it all the way through! I read the first chapter a couple nights ago and it was such a blessing. Now I can't wait to dive into it!

Well, now I need to go finish my grocery list. Hope everyone's having a super week!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently heard a radio interview with author Ginger Plowman. I've not read any of her books, but I've heard good things about them. Anyway, she applied Galatians 6:9 to parenting: And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

I hope that encourages you as it did me! I'll be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

That was me above, I hit the wrong button and sent it without preview. Not sure if the italics worked either. :)

Carrie said...

Mindee, thanks so much for the encouragement!! I actually just recently got Ginger Plowman's book "Don't Make Me Count to Three" and am partway through it. It's very good! And that verse is one that just popped into my mind yesterday, too. It was very encouraging to think that eventually, we will reap the results of consistent parenting . . . it's just hard when I want to see the results right now!! :)

Rachel said...

Hey Carrie - I'll be praying for you. I have such a burden for my boys' souls and pray that they will come to know the Lord. My struggle is consistency. I need to follow through with correcting the FIRST time instead of continuously reminding. Usually, I end up frustrated and upset because I failed to follow through the first time. Funny how that works.

I have enjoyed "The Mission of Motherhood" and am now reading "The Ministry of Motherhood". I've heard some great reviews about "Don't Make Me Count to Three". I may just have to buy it one of these days:). I have 3 books going right now and I should probably wait until I finish those before starting another one.

Remember, "Faithful is He Who calleth you, Who also will do it." God has called you to be a mother and He will "do it". :)

Anonymous said...

I know what you are going through. My big sin that I am working on in my life is not having enough patience. It takes so much patience to be a mom and I have never been very good at patience.I get angry and frustrated too quickly.

My older boys know when they can get away with stuff. They always seem to misbehave when I am nursing. Ahhh!!! That is so frustrating because I can't do anything about it then unless I put the baby down (who screams) and go correct the child. It is loud, chaotic, and really stressful when I do that.

I go through periods when the kids act like angels and then I will go through a few days when they are just horrible.

Training your children can be SO stressful and when you have a little baby... I completely feel your pain.

I will be praying for you.

-Zan

Kara said...

Stretched, I'm feeling it , too. Every time I sit down to nurse the baby the other kids get into trouble- whether splashing in the toilet or grabbing things off the kitchen counter they're not supposed to... it is a very trying time right now!!!