Thursday, July 12, 2007

A day in Maine

Yesterday we went off on an adventure. :) Jim needed to go over to Freeport, Maine, to try out and purchase a special tool for the barn he's building this summer, and the kids and I tagged along. We had hoped to add in a night or two of camping by the ocean, but life has been so busy lately that we decided not to try to plan a camping trip on the spur of the moment. Maybe later in the summer.

Anyway, we made a full day of it! Our first stop was at the Whole Foods Market in Portland. We had a lot of fun checking it out, and bought 4 or 5 things. It's too far away to be able to shop there frequently, nor could we afford to buy a lot of stuff there, but we enjoyed seeing all that was available. Maybe one day, there will be one closer to us! I can dream, right? :) I thought it was interesting that they sell ready-made kefir and kefir smoothies, in the dairy section. I poked around, but didn't see any kefir grains for sale, though. I may try getting some off ebay, like Rachel. I LOVE the idea of a health-conscious grocery store like Whole Foods. I just wish there were a bunch of those type of stores around, so the prices would be more competitive. Well, it does seem like more and more Americans are starting to become more health/natural conscious, so perhaps someday down the road, we will start seeing more stores like this.

We finished up shopping right around lunchtime, and headed up the highway to Cole Farms restaurant in Gray.

My family had eaten there once when I was in my teens, and I had good memories of the food, so we decided to see if it was as good as I remembered. As we drove in and saw how packed the parking lot was, for lunchtime on a weekday, we knew it must be good. :) We were not disappointed!! Let me tell you, there is nothing like fresh Maine seafood!! Of course, I had small twinges of guilt to find such enjoyment in deep-fried fish and fries after just shopping at Whole Foods . . . but hey, at least the fish part is healthy, right? :) Jim had fish and shrimp, and he said the shrimp was the best he's ever had! Sam had fun eating (and trying to cut) his own chicken fingers.
Julia had fun eating fries and trying to grab the placemats. :)
We may just have to make Cole Farms a once-a-summer tradition!

After lunch, we headed to Freeport, which was our main purpose of the trip. At Timberwolf Tools, Jim purchased the new tool he wanted. He really liked the fact that they let him try out the tools before buying. The new tool will save him a LOT of time and make his barn-building much easier.

From Freeport, we drove up the coast a little farther, to Popham Beach State Park. This was another place that we visited several times when I was growing up, and Jim and I had been there once or twice in the first couple years of marriage, but it's probably been 5 or more years since the last time. Popham is a gorgeous sandy beach, perfect for beachcombing. Even though it was a foggy, somewhat chilly day, we had a wonderful time. We hadn't been to Maine at all since I was pregnant with Sam, and going to the ocean made us wonder why we don't go more often--like at least once a summer! We only live 2+ hours away, so we really should take advantage of it!

Wild roses at the beach
Sam loved running on the sand. It was so much fun to watch him experience the ocean for the first time!
Me & the kiddos--Sam is holding up a shell he found.
Julia got to stretch her legs for a few minutes.
Jim wrote "Sam was here" in the sand . . . .
. . . . and Julia, too! :)
All of us (self-taken, as you can tell!)
On the way home, we got lost in the Portland area (I'm not the best navigator you ever saw), which made our return trip 30-45 minutes longer than it should have been. Then we got caught in a bad thunderstorm about half an hour from home. But we arrived at last, worn out, but with many happy memories of a wonderful day!

7 comments:

Rachel said...

It sounds like you guys had a wonderful time. I enjoy seafood also and agree that Maine's is the best. I craved shrimp cocktail while I was pregnant with Michael. I must have needed some of the nutrients or something:).
How great for Jim that he bought the tool he needed. I am sure that he is excited to put it to good use.
I have far-off memories of Popham Beach. My sister was just a baby and I was 2-1/2 when my parents first brought us camping there. There is a picture of me scolding the waves as they came back and forth on the beach.
How fun for you guys to spend time there as a family. There is just something about Maine that no other place can duplicate.
I received my kefir today. It was shipped from NC so it wasn't too far. It was $11.15, shipping included. I would imagine that it will pay for itself fairly quickly as long as I don't kill it:) I hope that our family likes it and that I keep it up. There is a place in NY that I contacted before I went on ebay. She was willing to ship it to me but it would have cost $17 to overnight it to Knoxville. Perhaps, NH would work better in terms of proximity for you. I think that she may have been giving it for free - you pay shipping but I cannot remember the details. I'll try to find that info again and send it to you if you want it. Have a great evening.

Mary Ann said...

Doesn't a mid-week break just feel great? I'm glad you guys got to go to the beach. I love Whole Foods, too. We don't have one around here but last fall I was in Dublin, OH for a week (for work all by myself so it was BORING!). I found a Whole Foods one evening & I promise you I spent like 2 hours in there killing time reading labels, etc. It was fun :) You should also check out Fresh Market if you get a chance. Similar kind of concept as Whole Foods.

Anonymous said...

How fun! Sounds like you all had a great time even if you didn't get to go camping this time. The pics were cute. :)

Mrs.T said...

We LOVED the picture of Sam running on the beach! What a perfect picture -- his reflection in the water and everything. Sure captures the moment of him discovering the ocean for the first time.

All the pics are great! What a nice day you had!

Anonymous said...

Popham Beach is one of my favorite places in the world! My family used to rent the Ocean Side Cottages on the beach almost every summer. Nathan and i want to rent one for a week. Maybe next spring or fall. You might have seen the cottages. They are on the private beach, but from the island (the one you can walk to if the tide is low) you can see the brown cottages.

It is such a wonderful beach. yes, it is cold (most of the time), but it hasn't become built up like Hampton or Old Orchard. It is remote and absolutely beautiful!

I always love the fort at the mouth of the river, too. I have such great memories of that place!

-Zan

Unknown said...

What an awesome family day! I'm so jealous that you're that close to Maine! Ever go blueberry picking there?

You are making me SO HUNGRY for fried Maine seafood! We spent our honeymoon in portland and bar harbor and couldn't get enough of the yummy fresh seafood. And the beaches seem so unspoiled out there. Probably because they're usually too cold for many folks to go swimming!

Carrie said...

Rachel--that is neat that you visited Popham Beach when you were little! I bet that is a cute picture of you scolding the waves. :) I'd love the info on the kefir if you get a chance to look it up (the one in NY). I tried to contact someone not too far away here in NH, but never heard back from her, so maybe she doesn't sell it anymore. I did check our local health-food store and they don't have it. The ebay price sounds pretty reasonable, though, so if I end up having to go with that, that's fine. Let me know how it goes, and how you guys like it!

Mary Ann--I bet that browsing Whole Foods was really fun! I haven't ever heard of a Fresh Market around here (I think just about everything gets to New England a few years after the rest of the country. :)). There are a lot of pluses to living here, but also some downsides!

Mindee--we did have so much fun! And hopefully we can work it out to camp sometime before the end of the summer. :)

Zan--that is cool that you love Popham, too! I hope you guys get to go up there within the next year for a week--the kids would love it! We couldn't see the cottages that day because the fog was too thick. We did hit the right time of day to walk to the island, though! We didn't take the kids up it--a little too nervous about losing Sam over the edge--but it was cool that we got to walk over there anyway. We didn't go to the fort this time either, but I think we have maybe gone there in the past--can't remember for sure, I might be getting it mixed up with the place at Portland Head Light. We'll definitely have to go back and camp at Hermit Island so we can spend more time at Popham. :)

Alicia--we've never been blueberry picking in ME, but one of Sam's favorite books is "Blueberries for Sal." :) He also loves "One Morning in Maine" and it was so much fun to be able to explain the ocean/seaweed, etc. to him in relation to the book! When we showed him the seaweed that was like the seaweed Sal slipped on, he started looking around for a seal. :) If you don't have those books, you should get them--definite classics!

Maine must have been a wonderful place to honeymoon!! We spent one family vacation in the Bar Harbor/Acadia area when I was a kid and I have great memories from it! Just another place I'd love to take our kids someday . . . :)

Wish I could send you some fried seafood!!! There is just nothing like it!