Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Marinated Chicken Salad


I know I've posted this one before, but I just made it again tonight and remembered to take a picture. :) So here it is again. This is a favorite of ours! And tonight I made some raspberry walnut muffins to go with it, which I will try and post the recipe for tomorrow. They were super yummy!

Marinated Chicken Salad

Dressing:
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. white vinegar
1/2 c. sugar
2 T. soy sauce

Chicken Marinade:
1/2 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. lemon juice
1/4 c. water
2 T. white vinegar
1 T. brown sugar
2 T. oil
1/2 t. pepper

Crunchies:
2 pkg. Ramen noodles, without flavoring
4 T. butter
2 T. sugar
1/4 c. sesame or sunflower seeds
3/4 c. slivered or sliced almonds

3-4 lbs. boneless chicken breasts, cut in strips
1 16-oz. can mandarin oranges
2 heads (approx.) leafy greens of your choice

1. Combine dressing ingredients in a tightly-sealing jar. Set aside.
2. Combine marinade ingredients in a large measuring cup. Set aside.
3. To make crunchies (can be done ahead):
~Break noodles into tiny pieces (I just crush 'em up with my hands while they're still in the package)
~Melt butter in large skillet
~Add sugar, noodles, seeds and almonds
~Brown over low-med. heat until golden in color and toasted
~Be careful not to burn--stir frequently
~Let cool and set aside
4. Pour chicken marinade into large skillet and add cut chicken strips to marinade. Cook in marinade over med. heat for 15-
20 minutes. (I find it doesn't usually take nearly that long, though.) Stir frequently to be sure all the chicken is cooked
evenly.
5. Wash greens and tear into bite-sized pieces; place in large serving bowl. (Do this ahead if you have time.)
6. Drain mandarin oranges and place on top of greens in bowl.
7. When chicken is cooked through, remove from marinade with slotted spoon and place on top of greens. Discard
marinade.
8. Just before serving, place crunchies on top of greens.
9. Shake the dressing thoroughly immediately before serving and pour evenly over salad. Toss to combine.
10. Serve and enjoy!

~~A few notes of my own: We usually use iceberg lettuce, just because that's what I usually have on hand. I know it's not as healthy, but when I buy leaf lettuce, it usually ends up going bad before I remember to use it. We have found iceberg works just fine. Also, when I'm making this just for our family of 3, I cut the recipe in half. The original recipe which I have shared here makes a huge salad! This is so yummy and really quite filling if you serve it with a nice hearty bread or rolls. We just love it. I hope some will try it and enjoy it as much as we do!

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Um yeah, that looks very delish (as Rachel Ray would say). Gonna have to try that one out! I love this time of year b/c salads are the perfect hot weather food (not too heavy), they're good for you, & the ingredients are fresh - sometimes they even come from my sister's backyard!

Carrie said...

Let me know if you get a chance to try it! It's very yummy. My sister actually got the recipe from someone in her class at Northland--I think the girl used it in her menu for her party for Home Entertaining (I think that was the name of the class--you know, the one where we had to do a huge tea, or dinner, etc.--were you in that class with me?) Anyway, I think the original recipe may have come from Mrs. Kimbrough, but I'm not for sure on that--at any rate, it is a keeper!