Friday, August 05, 2005

Favorite Books

Erin had a post on her blog today about some of her favorite childhood books. So I'm borrowing her idea a little bit and writing about my favorite books, both childhood and current! I have always been something of a bookworm (which must be where Sam gets it, because Jim is not a huge book person, unless it's a gun book or a tool catalog :)). Actually, Jim really does like to read, but he just doesn't have much time for it. We do enjoy reading books aloud together, though. I often read aloud in the car; it helps the time pass more quickly!

Anyway, here is a list of some favorite books I enjoyed in my younger days:
*Trixie Belden series
*Grandma's Attic series
*Mandie books
*Happy Hollisters
*Nancy Drew series
*The Wonderful Fashion Doll
(This was a beautiful little book that our local library had; it is long out of print, and sadly, I haven't seen it at the library in a number of years, either. I've found it online, but at a VERY high price . . .)

Here is a list of books that I have enjoyed since childhood and still like to read now:
*Anne of Green Gables series, and most other books by L.M. Montgomery
*Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder
*Betsy-Tacy series, by Maud Hart Lovelace
*Beany Malone series, by Lenora Mattingly Weber
*Penny Parish series and other series by Janet Lambert
*Circus Sequins and other books by the same author (unfortunately I can't remember her name right now!)
*Chronicles of Narnia, by CS Lewis
*American Girl books


And finally, here is a list of books I have discovered since "growing up" and love to read over and over:
*The Gresham Chronicles, by Lawana Blackwell
*Mitford series, by Jan Karon
*The Alcott Legacy, by Maryann Minatra
*Hinds Feet on High Places, by Hannah Hurnard
*Stepping Heavenward, by Elizabeth Prentiss
*A Woman After God's Own Heart, and other books by Elizabeth George
*Created to be His Help Meet, by Debi Pearl
*most books by Agatha Christie, especially Hercule Poirot mysteries
*Amish books by Beverly Lewis
*Lord of the Rings series, by JRR Tolkien
*books by Bodie and Brock Thoene
*The Atonement Child, by Francine Rivers


This is by no means an exhaustive list, but just the ones I could think of off the top of my head! I would love to have the input of readers, too. Take a minute to comment, if you like, and let me know what some of your favorite books are!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Favorite authors from childhood:
L.M. Montgomery, Trixie Beldon, Nancy Drew, the Biggles books

From mid to older teen years:
L.M Montgomery, Louis L'Amour, Alistair MacLean, Janette Oke, Lori Wick, Jane Austen and many others!

Of late:
Jane Austen, L.M. Montgomery, Jeff Shaara

Sadly enough, when we got married I pretty much stopped reading. Only lately have I started trying to do more, which isn't all that easy with the three boys!

Carrie said...

Thanks for commenting, Joanne! :) I always knew our reading tastes were similar, but I didn't know you had read the Trixie Belden books growing up! I loved those so much. The first 6, by Julie Campbell, were my favorites; I felt they weren't quite as good when someone else took over writing them.

I totally understand not having as much time to read while running after 3 boys!! It's bad enough with just one. :) I've always used Sam's nursing time for reading, but as he's nursing less, my reading time is also diminishing. I definitely work my way through books a lot slower than I did as a child/teenager, though!

Oh, I also enjoy most of Lori Wick and Janette Oke; forgot to mention those. :) I haven't read any of Wick's newest ones, though, but would like to!

Leslie said...

Hey Carrie, I am reading a bunch of Al Lacy books now. I have 3 of his series, Angel of Mercy, Stranger Series, and the Liberty series. I don't know if you have ever read any of his, but they are awesome. Diana just finished reading the first two series, and I am working on the Liberty books. If you ever want to borrow any, feel free to call!

Carrie said...

Hey Les! Just found your comment. :) I will let you know if I want to borrow any of those books; they sound good! I'm busily working my way through a series right now, and just got another stand-alone novel so it'll be a while before I need anymore . . . :) I just love to read!!